Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest For an Abbot's Confession,

Default The Quest For an Abbot's Confession,

This thread has nothing to do with the Spanish Inquisition but is one devoted to thoughts good or bad about the latest Spoons fest.

My highlights so far are the Bateman's Hazelnut Brownie which was liquid confectionery, the two American Reds, 21st Amendment and Ballast Point plus the Abbot's Confession which seemed to me to be a dangerously drinkable 8.5% Abbot Ale. I didn't find it sweet at all!

My research resumes tomorrow!

This Space For Hire

I tried a few last night and the best 2 were the 21st Amendment-Red and surprisingly Wadsworth -WTF in the wildest and noisiest pub I have been in in years the Beehive in Brixton.It was buzzing.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I had the Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA and I thought it really was very good.I certainly got the floral aroma ,a well balanced brew delicately hopped.Hid the 5.6% very well.

I knew what I would be getting with Titanic Cappuccino,not too much cappuccino but a load a hop bitterness,a very fine dry stout.

My sample of the Elysian Avatar Jasmine IPA didn't have much jasmine flavour and just didn't appeal.Brewed by Thwaites,maybe that's a clue.

Another visit to The George on Saturday and more chances to hit these festival ales which this year include a lot of very interesting brews.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Following on from last week's post, I'm finding it difficult to find places selling the beers from the smaller breweries. The 10 American ones are brewed supposedly by the original brewer at larger UK regionals. Whether they have complete control over the process I'm inclined to doubt. There is one beer for me that is head and shoulders above the rest (despite the silly name) and that is the Adnam's / Stone Supremely Self-Conscious Black IPA. This is a hop bomb Black IPA that uses 7 different varieties of hops. I had a pint of it today and even though it was a bit tired, probably getting near the end of the barrel it tasted superb.
    Adnam's seem to have really got to grips with so called craft beers, as their Ghost Ship is a good low ABV Pale IPA and their Bengali Tiger from last month was a superb reddish IPA.

I liked the Tittanic Cappuccino, but would call it a Coffee Porter rather than a dry stout. The Caledonian Poltergeist Porter today came up like a pint of Guinness and was like a dry stout only not quite dark enough.

I liked the Wadworth's WTF, a good attempt at a stronger single hop beer and their Abita Restoration Pale, which was completely different to any Wadworth's beer I've tried before.

I liked the Hook Norton Flagship, a Turbo charged Old Hookey, plus the Shep's Spooks and their Terrapin Tree Hugger.

I thought the Oakleaf Cream of the Crop was a good Stout.

The Hazelnut Chocolate Brownie is AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Agreed but would it (has it?) passed the three pint test?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Horribilus. Marmite beer possibly?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Horribilus. Marmite beer possibly?
    Actually one of the worst beers I have had this year but I do know from the internet some are saying the best beer they have drank this year.Go figure.

Actually one of the worst beers I have had this year but I do know from the internet some are saying the best beer they have drank this year.Go figure.
    http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co...live-o_22.html

I really liked it, but couldn't imagine it passing the three pint test unless it was part of a lucrative bet. I think I've tried it in three different places now and it has tasted exactly the same in all of them, unlike some of the American IPAs.

Even the barman at the Surrey Docks yesterday morning said something to the effect that this beer is something else. When I ordered a pint of it in the Wanstead George today a woman ordering food asked "Oh, is that what it actually tastes like?" and I had to answer "Yes"!! Sadly it had gone off.