Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: real ale pubs

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I check each county against What Pub. They have benefitted vastly by using PuG as the best base to populate many areas so it's fair swaps. As I update both guides, it's give and take. It's much easier where there are strong branches such as Shropshire, but harder work and more uncertain in weaker branch areas.
    I would be carefull checking with What Pub,there is a pub local to me that What Pub says does real ale,i know the landlord as a friend and ex workmate,he always tells me that he still does no real ales.

Another local pub to me always seems to have four handpumped ciders,What Pub says no real ciders,i dont know how the site works and dont really want to.

I will revisit these pubs in the next few weeks then name them and shame the What Pub site.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The downside to any of these sort of stats is that unless one is prepared to visit on a regular basis, it doesn't matter if it is in GBG, What Pub or Pubs Galore, it is very easily out of date.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The downside to any of these sort of stats is that unless one is prepared to visit on a regular basis, it doesn't matter if it is in GBG, What Pub or Pubs Galore, it is very easily out of date.
    I'll be checking GBG2014 deletions in Whats Brewing to help keep the ones I'm checking through now up to date.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
    Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Londonderry
    Down
    Tyrone
    Armagh
    Hampshire
    Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife
    I'm now doing Dorset.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I would be carefull checking with What Pub,there is a pub local to me that What Pub says does real ale,i know the landlord as a friend and ex workmate,he always tells me that he still does no real ales.

Another local pub to me always seems to have four handpumped ciders,What Pub says no real ciders,i dont know how the site works and dont really want to.

I will revisit these pubs in the next few weeks then name them and shame the What Pub site.
    As Gill says, all guides can be out of date. On PuG, members are still marking pubs closed with comments like "Closed in 2009!". Any guide can be named and shamed if you search for a few faults.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    As Gill says, all guides can be out of date. On PuG, members are still marking pubs closed with comments like "Closed in 2009!". Any guide can be named and shamed if you search for a few faults.
    The reason i have gripe with What Pub is because all photos and comments are anonymous,they can look at Pubs Galore and know who has made what reviews and took what photos,if i look at that site i have not the faintest idea who is contributing to it,and i also dont know how to put wrongs right.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Current state of play.

Counties completed

Tayside
    Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Londonderry
    Down
    Tyrone
    Armagh
    Hampshire
    Isle Of Man

In Progress

Kingdom Of Fife
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I'm now doing Dorset.
    Dorset now completed, only managed to add 8, one complete name change and one slight name change plus one new pub to add to the main site. Will pick another county tomorrow evening.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

There is an edit button on Whatpub where you can put things right as I have done it a few times. I have found response pretty quick from the branch involved to confirm my amendment. I'm not bothered if I get credit or named against anything though.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    The reason i have gripe with What Pub is because all photos and comments are anonymous,they can look at Pubs Galore and know who has made what reviews and took what photos,if i look at that site i have not the faintest idea who is contributing to it,and i also dont know how to put wrongs right.
    PuG and WP will always be different. WP is a high detail site listing beers and opening times of over 35000 of the estimated 37000 Real Ale pubs but is not a reviewers site. PuG is a more personal friendly site with real people that you feel you know though you may have never met them. I always use both sites to cross reference and update to help with general beer and pub information.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    There is an edit button on Whatpub where you can put things right as I have done it a few times. I have found response pretty quick from the branch involved to confirm my amendment. I'm not bothered if I get credit or named against anything though.
    I believe that only CAMRA members can submit feedback forms. I too have contributed many photographs to WhatPub, and have no problem with not being "credited/blamed" for them!

Of course some branches are better than others in implementing changes, but that's only to be expected. I have found WhatPub to be a very useful source of information. I have identified two South London pubs on WhatPub, that weren't on PuG, and identified a pub that had little or no recent information on it on PuG, but identified on WhatPub as definitely worth a visit. I think it's a good bit of kit, and as already stated serves a different purpose to PuG.