Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Pale Ale: Septic or Antiseptic Hops?

This Space For Hire

First drank the Green Hop Ipa in 2010 and was hooked.A beer I search for at this time of the year but its getting such a reputation its probably going to be harder to get.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    First drank the Green Hop Ipa in 2010 and was hooked.A beer I search for at this time of the year but its getting such a reputation its probably going to be harder to get.
    Six barrels at my local, will probably be saved for weekends so at least three dodgy weekends coming up.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I've had 3 that LC mentioned recently without realising that they were APA's: St Austell Proper Job (my favourite of their beers), Sadlers Hop Monster and Magic Rock High Wire, which is described as a West Coast Pale Ale on their website. All were very drinkable so, unless there are objections, in they go.

The list:

The Drinkable

Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7% (TP)
    Butcombe - Great Grey Owl 3.6% (MD)
    Portobello - APA 5% (Aqua)
    Long Man - APA 4.8% (Aqua)
    St Austell - Proper Job 4.5% (LC)
    Sadlers - Hop Monster 5% (LC)
    Magic Rock - High Wire 5.5% (LC)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand Zeta 3.6% (TP)
    Greene King - Yardbird 4% (BF by proxy)
    Caledonian - All American 4.1% (MD)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

One for the drinkable category,Tillingbourne Hop Troll.GBG and ratebeer have it described as an APA,so I assume it uses exclusively American hops.It slipped down easily,bitter but not overpowering.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

A couple from me which seem to fit the description:
    Church End - Fallen Angel: Definitely pale and brewed with American hops and certainly drinkable.
    Blue Monkey - US Ape: Bottle conditioned and described as an American IPA style beer. Not as pale as some but still fits the bill and again drinkable.

The Drinkable

Tillingbourne - Hop Troll (BF)
    Church End - Fallen Angel 5% (TP)
    Blue Monkey - US Ape 7.5% (TP)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand Zeta 3.6% (TP)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

It's probably just me,but I thought Portobello Ameican Pale Ale was really poor in the reliable George in Croydon.The dark orange colour was a surprise and the overly malty brew was quite difficult to quaff.The 5% strength was very evident ,but there was little hop character nor lasting bitterness.The fruit sensation mentioned in ratebeer reviews was just absent.I had to wash it down with a Dark Star American Pale Ale which as always was excellent.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    It's probably just me,but I thought Portobello Ameican Pale Ale was really poor in the reliable George in Croydon.The dark orange colour was a surprise and the overly malty brew was quite difficult to quaff.The 5% strength was very evident ,but there was little hop character nor lasting bitterness.The fruit sensation mentioned in ratebeer reviews was just absent.I had to wash it down with a Dark Star American Pale Ale which as always was excellent.
    Only tried it once and have to say I agree, it didn't do a lot for me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I have had it and thought it was the best beer they have brewed.Loads of hop flavour.I have noticed that hoppy beers can vary from batch to batch.Ihad Tiny Rebel-Billabong on Friday and was disappointed.Good but not great like I have had before.I actually demanded to see the manager of a Nicolsons pub and queried if he had put the wrong beer on a handpump as the Jaipur had little or no hops in it.A beer I have had when it was so hoppy I could hardly finish a pint. cheers john

I haven't seen this for a while but I think they are a top brewer judging by recent examples of their Apache IPA and VPA. The George isn't infallible as I had a fairly indifferent pint of an Oakham beer there last summer. Maybe you just caught the tail end of the cask.

The Drinkable

Tillingbourne - Hop Troll (BF)
    Church End - Fallen Angel 5% (TP)
    Blue Monkey - US Ape 7.5% (TP)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand Zeta 3.6% (TP)
    Portobello - American Pale Ale 5% (BF, MD)