Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: American Pale Ale: Septic or Antiseptic Hops?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I asked for a weaker beer in the Old Red Lion Kennington on Saturday,i could not see what was on the handpumps because a crowd of people were near them,
    the friendly landlord then offered me a taster of Cottage Sticky Wicket,it tasted crap,i then had the chance to see the pumps and i asked for a taster of Twickenham Naked ladies which was really nice so i opted for that.
    I was in the same pub last Christmas and speaking to the manager mentioned that Cottage was probably the worst brewer in the country.He agree and said he was going to stop getting their beer but on 2 recent visits and yours and Moby,s they are still selling Cottage.Cheap beer at any cost it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I was in the same pub last Christmas and speaking to the manager mentioned that Cottage was probably the worst brewer in the country.He agree and said he was going to stop getting their beer but on 2 recent visits and yours and Moby,s they are still selling Cottage.Cheap beer at any cost it seems.
    There are probably quite a few candidates for that title. Aside from the obvious I'd nominate the Warwickshire Beer Company. I don't believe that they brew an APA so perhaps there's a whole new thread there.

I found Langhams Arapaho very drinkable, it does more than punch its 4.9% weight, it isnt a particularly pale beer, in fact in the brewers discription they call it a deep, deep gold American Pale Ale, anyhow its very good and worthy of entry into the drinkable category.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I wouldn't put Brentwood in the same category as Milestone and most definitely not Cottage. They supply Locale beers to the Chingford Spoons and while ELB (Pale excepted) and most Portobello beers are better they aren't that bad. The Best is just an imitation of Courage Best and their Winter Warmer is a bit odd as it isn't dark or strong. Their Summer Virgin tried recently was pleasant enough and their Marvelous Maple Mild nearly made it to BOTW. They have an "experimental" wing now called Elephant's School. I've only tried two of these but they were OK.
    Over the Festive period their were at least four seasonal beers from Milestone in the William that they struggled to sell. They all looked and tasted the same, dark and very mediocre.
    Came across an Elephant training school beer - Oddsnsods, a dark 4.3% bitter. Whilst drinkable and having a decent amount of aroma hops in it I would go with your opinion - OK. It smacks a bit of jumping onto the "craft" bandwagon, it was over bitter and a bit thin. Other brewers around here are doing more of this sort of thing as well, both Glastonbury Ales and Cheddar ales are launching new "craft" ranges.
    As for Cottage being in Somerset I despair when I come across their beers. Many of the decent pubs refuse to stock their beers as they are so unreliable in quality - you get what you pay for there and pubs that are stocking it are normally buying it ridiculously cheaply.
    Further in this thread (definitely getting off topic now) I don't believe that nowadays beer doesn't travel well. Most dealers and wholesalers have invested in cold storage facilities. I have heard that Cottage tend to deliver their beer themselves though.

This Space For Hire

I think Brentwood beers are mostly dull.I have come across Elephant School beers but have not tried them because they are really Brentwood beers.Glastonbury are another dull brewer but the craft range with different pumpclips on at the Cask pub and Kitchen were a lot better but also a lot dearer.Cheddar are a good brewery and I like their beers a lot but until now a very limited range so a craft range sounds good to me.
    Incidentally Glastonbury get one of my bad taste awards for a beer they did called Fuck my Boots 5.0
    Last edited by london calling; 13-08-2014 at 21:50. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Incidentally Glastonbury get one of my bad taste awards for a beer they did called Fuck my Boots 5.0
    Did you mean bad taste for the beer or the name? I find the name quite amusing,then again I am easily amused.
    -W.C.Fields

One I found less drinkable today at the GBBF was Ole Slewfoot Citraville APA, didn't do for me what the name suggested. (To me).
    -W.C.Fields

Update:

The Drinkable

Blue Monkey - US Ape 7.5% (TP)
    Burning Sky - Aurora (BF)
    Butcombe - Great Grey Owl 3.6% (MD)
    Church End - Fallen Angel 5% (TP)
    Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7% (TP)
    Dickensian - Nicholas Nickelbeer 4.4% (Aqua)
    Hackney Brewery - Pale Ale 4.5% (MD)
    Hop Fuzz - Old American Pale 4.2% (Wit)
    Langhams - Arapaho 4.9% (MD)
    Long Man - APA 4.8% (Aqua)
    Magic Rock - High Wire 5.5% (LC)
    Portobello - APA 5% (Aqua)
    Sadlers - Hop Monster 5% (LC)
    St Austell - Proper Job 4.5% (LC)
    Tillingbourne - Hop Troll (BF)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand - Zeta 3.6% (TP)
    Caledonian - All American 4.1% (MD)
    Greene King - Yardbird 4% (BF by proxy)
    Milestone - American Pale Ale 4.6% (Aqua)
    Ole Slewfoot - Citraville APA 3.9% (MD)
    Portobello - American Pale Ale 5% (BF, MD)
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 30-09-2014 at 10:01.

One for the drinkable

Dickensian Nicholas Nicklebeer 4.4%

It's a low ABV one but has all the New World hop flavour you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    One for the drinkable

Dickensian Nicholas Nicklebeer 4.4%

It's a low ABV one but has all the New World hop flavour you would expect.
    Clever name. Updated above.