Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Pale Ale: Septic or Antiseptic Hops?

Default American Pale Ale: Septic or Antiseptic Hops?

An increasing number of brewers appear to be trying their hands at American Pale Ale.

But what is an American Pale Ale? I'm not at all sure but would certainly be interested to know what people think, so all thoughts on what defines the style welcome here.

Which ones are any good? All thoughts on APAs tried, likeable or not, listed here.

I've tried a couple recently, one obvious and already popular, the other less so, so here goes:

Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7%: Needs little introduction, I thoroughly enjoy this one and so do many who try it.
    Big Hand - Zeta 3.6%: A test brew from this Wrexham brewery which I found to be long on malt and short on hops and fun.

The Drinkable

Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7% (TP)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand Zeta 3.6% (TP)

Surely there is little difference between IPA and APA? The Americans took the original genuine concept of an IPA and applied their own hops to it. I don't know this for sure, but I wouldn't mind betting that the Black IPA originated across the pond.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Well these two lads didn't rate this APA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzbSn1KJCEY

I have much the same reaction to a lot of GK output,one for the "less drinkable" category ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Surely there is little difference between IPA and APA? The Americans took the original genuine concept of an IPA and applied their own hops to it. I don't know this for sure, but I wouldn't mind betting that the Black IPA originated across the pond.
    Think you just defined the APA. Strictly speaking an IPA, originating in this country, should only contain British hops or hops that were available to brewers in the 19th Century when the style was first brewed. I would hazard a guess that most of the new IPAs floating about currently are in effect APA or at least a bastard APA/IPA hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    I would hazard a guess that most of the new IPAs floating about currently are in effect APA or at least a bastard APA/IPA hybrid.
    I'm fairly sure you're right, I know NZ hops seem to be popular so a better label might be "New World IPA".

Darkstar American Pale Ale is now a beer that I can luckily call a regular beer and is well up with my all time favourites.
    The term"American Pale Ale " I fear Is now open to much abuse in the same way as "Craft Beer", both are a popular tag words and sales opportunity's . However one I tried that I would say is good,i.e I would buy it again, is Butcombe Great Grey Owl, only 3.6% and as such no competition to Darkstar's excellent beer, but very moreish all the same. Good.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Looking at the 2014 GBG there seem to be 12 breweries producing an American Pale Ale or calling it APA

Blackedge
    Bridestones
    Dark Star
    Hackney
    Long Man
    Portobello
    Sonnet
    Houston
    Allendale
    Hop Fuzz
    TapEast
    Windswept.

I am sure there must be other who dont use the American Pale Ale description in their beer name,Moby has already mentioned Butcombe Great Grey Owl.So it does appear to be a legitimate beer style ,increasing in popularity although I have not had many myself.Interested in hearing about any winners.

I suppose an APA should really be using EXCLUSIVELY American hops ,but I look forward to being educated.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I suppose an APA should really be using EXCLUSIVELY American hops ,but I look forward to being educated.
    That's what I would expect.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    However one I tried that I would say is good,i.e I would buy it again, is Butcombe Great Grey Owl.
    This was on the last Spoons guest list and for an owl that would normally fly under my radar, I also thought was excellent. I wasn't even aware when I tried it that it was described as an APA as given the ABV I just assumed it was a low ABV beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Looking at the 2014 GBG there seem to be 12 breweries producing an American Pale Ale or calling it APA

Blackedge
    Bridestones
    Dark Star
    Hackney
    Long Man
    Portobello
    Sonnet
    Houston
    Allendale
    Hop Fuzz
    TapEast
    Windswept.
    I've had three of those, Dark Star, Long Man and Portobello all of which were excellent when found in good condition, but the real contention is whether there is a valid difference to be made between an APA and an IPA other than an APA uses hops from just America, while an IPA can use a mix of hops which may all potentially be from different countries. The style of beer is identical if you ignore the historic abuse of the term by the likes of GK and others.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    An increasing number of brewers appear to be trying their hands at American Pale Ale.

But what is an American Pale Ale? I'm not at all sure but would certainly be interested to know what people think, so all thoughts on what defines the style welcome here.

Which ones are any good? All thoughts on APAs tried, likeable or not, listed here.

I've tried a couple recently, one obvious and already popular, the other less so, so here goes:

Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7%: Needs little introduction, I thoroughly enjoy this one and so do many who try it.
    Big Hand - Zeta 3.6%: A test brew from this Wrexham brewery which I found to be long on malt and short on hops and fun.

The Drinkable

Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7% (TP)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand Zeta 3.6% (TP)
    There are hundreds of Apa,s brewed in Britain but most don't call them the obvious name
    I have had lots inc Darkstar-Clarence and Fredricks-Bridestones-Castle Rock and Red Squirrel all called American pale ale
    these are less obvious
    ST AUSTELL- PROPER JOB
    SADLERS-HOP MONSTER
    BRODIES -CITRA
    DARKSTAR-GOLDEN GATE
    ASCOT -POSH POOCH
    MAGIC ROCK -HIGHWIRE

If it is pale and only has American hops its classed as APA.