Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 6th October 2013)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quiet week for me

Lytham - Gold
    Black Jack - Honey Trap
    Salamander - Mindbender
    Rowton - Galaxy
    Tiny Rebel - Full Nelson
    Jennings - Cocker Hoop
    Salopian - Shropshire Gold

BOTW Tiny Rebel - Full Nelson
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    BOTW though was Derby Brewing Company - Quintessential. I've had a few of their beers and never been overly impressed but they've got it right with this one. It's a fruity 5.8% number with plenty of bitterness to keep you going back for more, it's like a high quality alcoholic marmalade - dangerous!
    Sounds right up my street.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quiet:two beers.

Old Dairy- Red Top 3.8% abv.Good depth to this best bitter.
    Shepherd Neame- Talleyman's Special.4.5%abv. Sheps' Green hop offering. At first I thought it was just another dullish beer from Sheps, but persistance paid off, and I found it fresh and full of flavour. Have yet to try any other gha, though. My Botw.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Plenty of hoppy beers this week and very nice they were but 2 old favourites stood out
    Brodies - London Fields at the Cross keys Covent Garden was sure to win on Sat but
    Darkstar-hylder blonde was unbeatable at the Magpie and Crown Brentford on Sun

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Some interesting ones this week :-

Sambrook's Wandle 3.6%
    Nelson Pieces Of Eight 3.8%
    Banks's Black Diamond 4.0%
    Butcombe Bitter 4.0%
    Three Castles Autumn Daze 4.4%
    Dorking Brewery Red India Ale 5.0%
    Wharfebank Wispa IPA 5.1%
    Howling Hops Wit Beer 5.2%
    Oakham Black Hole Porter 5.5%
    Adnams / Sixpoint Bengali Tiger 6.4%
    Dark Star Green Hopped IPA 6.5%
    O' Hanlons Brewers Special Reserve 12.9%

Four good ones from that lot, the Nelson Pieces of Eight was a very good darkish bitter even though the brewery describe it as a light session ale.
    The Black Diamond was a revelation. The pump clip had no brewery ID on it at all, so it wasn't until I could look it up at home that I discovered it was Banks's. If the Marston stable can come up with a genuine low ABV Black IPA, then there is hope for us all. The tasting notes don't use the phrase "Black IPA" nor is the word "Craft" anywhere to be seen.

The Special Reserve was something else but as I think I've nominated it before, the award goes to the Green Hopped IPA, a classic strong hop bomb for £2.80 at the George in Croydon.

BOTW Dark Star Green Hopped IPA
    I had the Banks -Black Diamond on Sunday.They say its a black bitter.Agree with you its a very good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I had the Banks -Black Diamond on Sunday.They say its a black bitter.Agree with you its a very good beer.
    Do you agree that it's a genuine low ABV Black IPA? It had all the aroma and taste of the style in my book. I thought the brewery tasting notes were very vague, as though they didn't want to admit to jumping on the "craft" bandwagon.
    I still can't believe it was brewed by Banks's, although I have never had an issue with their cooking bitter and mild.
    The perverse thing is that if the clip had mentioned Banks's I would probably have gone for the Adnam's Old!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Being in Banks's country, I have had the Black Diamond a few times - i just find it an OK drink. My new beer of the week has to be Dorothy Goodbody Autumn Delight.
    MILD:

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Do you agree that it's a genuine low ABV Black IPA? It had all the aroma and taste of the style in my book. I thought the brewery tasting notes were very vague, as though they didn't want to admit to jumping on the "craft" bandwagon.
    I still can't believe it was brewed by Banks's, although I have never had an issue with their cooking bitter and mild.
    The perverse thing is that if the clip had mentioned Banks's I would probably have gone for the Adnam's Old!
    Agree its like a black ipa.Banks name in very small letters was at the bottom of the pumpclip.Banks have a great beer called Sunbeam which seems to be brewed regularly now as well.

Hard work picking this week with none of the beers I tried having the full WOW factor, although several were min the good category.

BOTW is Dark Star Indian Summer IPA. Passed the 2 pint test, but I didn't want a third, just too strong and hoppy/bitter.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas