Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Ale fail - Cask Corner, Doncaster

Default Ale fail - Cask Corner, Doncaster

Cask Corner - part of PSM's review made me feel a bit sad/mad:

The service was prompt and friendly, although two young ladies who popped in for a glass of wine were given short shrift by the barman, so perhaps the courtesy only extends to ale drinkers.

I know from first-hand experience that quite a few people who run and staff pubs don't seem to have a handle of marketing and the benefits of a positive first impression...but FFS, couldn't the bloke behind the bar have said something like:

"sorry ladies, we don't sell wine here but we do stock a wide range of real ale and I'm sure there'll be something here to tempt you if you'd care to try a couple of complimentary tasters?"

Well that's what I would have done anyway. Hardly helps the (slowly fading but still quite strong) stereotype of ale drinkers being boorish snobs with no social skills. Even if they hadn't taken up the offer at least they would have left with a positive view.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Cask Corner - part of PSM's review made me feel a bit sad/mad:

The service was prompt and friendly, although two young ladies who popped in for a glass of wine were given short shrift by the barman, so perhaps the courtesy only extends to ale drinkers.

I know from first-hand experience that quite a few people who run and staff pubs don't seem to have a handle of marketing and the benefits of a positive first impression...but FFS, couldn't the bloke behind the bar have said something like:

"sorry ladies, we don't sell wine here but we do stock a wide range of real ale and I'm sure there'll be something here to tempt you if you'd care to try a couple of complimentary tasters?"

Well that's what I would have done anyway. Hardly helps the (slowly fading but still quite strong) stereotype of ale drinkers being boorish snobs with no social skills. Even if they hadn't taken up the offer at least they would have left with a positive view.

I tend to agree, but is it any worse than going into a pub and asking about Real Ale to get the reply "sorry mate, there's no demand for it"?

As a CAMRA stereotype I would admit to having no social skills whatsoever especially after a few strong ones but would refute being a boorish snob, unless it was about one of the thousands of Real Ale pubs that just stock a few really boring national blands. I'm more than happy to turn my nose up at them.

I'm staying in Doncaster on the night of the Leeds PuG meet. I'll be sure to pop in and ask for a hair of the dog spritzer on the Saturday morning.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

It was a disappointing end to an otherwise very enjoyable visit. I probably wouldn't have commented on it, were it not for the passive-aggressive way the whole thing was dealt with. I felt sorry for the girls - it was very awkward for them - but I'm sure they found themselves a nice Pinot Grigio somewhere and, as I said in the review, it's the pub that lost out, not them.

When you go in a pub that has no cask ale, they at least usually have the courtesy to offer you a crappy keg bitter instead!

Teetotal

Hi, I'd be interested to know who the bar person was please, as the owner I do not want any of my staff behaving in that way to any customers. We do sell wine and have a cocktail bar too, and definately appreciate the custom of individuals who don't favour real ale, so whoever it was needs to be reprimanded. If you haven't got a name a description would be appreciated. Thank you.