Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Price rises

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I think the £3 mark is a sticking point for most, for London £3 may be cheap, but not for the vast majority who do not live there

A few years back in Guildford I nearly died when they wanted over £3, but no doubt London prices spill over that far

But I suppose it is all relative, as a reformed smoker I was staggered to see fags are over £5 a packet, last time I looked they were 4/3d and beer was 1/3d a pint

For younger viewers that is 22.5p & 6.5p respectively

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks Ed,

It is interesting to hear a well reasoned response to the question. Does sound like more woe for your industry though.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I think the £3 mark is a sticking point for most, for London £3 may be cheap, but not for the vast majority who do not live there
    Bitter normally sells for around £2.50 while Lager selling for around £2.70. 5 years ago it was £1.80 for bitter and £2 for lager.

A few years back in Guildford I nearly died when they wanted over £3, but no doubt London prices spill over that far
    As you go further south and it becomes more pricer. I had to fork out £3.80 for pint in London (No I am not talking about that pub in Harrod's!) in Jan.

But I suppose it is all relative, as a reformed smoker I was staggered to see fags are over £5 a packet, last time I looked they were 4/3d and beer was 1/3d a pint

For younger viewers that is 22.5p & 6.5p respectively
    I remember I bought my first pint ever of Carling and it was £1.50 in 1995. 20 Fags was around £3.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    As you go further south and it becomes more pricer.
    That's not always true Hoppy, it depends on the market.

It's very easy to buy a £3 pint in Harrogate or York for example, when in general Yorkshire is one of the cheapest places to drink in the country.

If there weren't any tourists around the price would be lower.

I can't think of any other reason why Betty's tea shop in Harrogate can charge about £8 for a pot of tea and a cake and the still queue down the street to get in. Actually judging by the people who were queueing up last week I need a couple more of those.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Dont forget the way the Pubcos work , if your tied chances are you`ll be paying 50% more for your beer than the free trade and if through hard graft you manage to increase your barrelage they will kindly double your rent , what lovelly people they are
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Bitter normally sells for around £2.50 while Lager selling for around £2.70. 5 years ago it was £1.80 for bitter and £2 for lager.

I remember I bought my first pint ever of Carling and it was £1.50 in 1995. 20 Fags was around £3.
    Wow I think my first Pint was around 24p in 1973 for a Pint of Light & Bitter. Or A Pint of Light & Mild. Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.

What wrong with faithful JDWs...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

That’s the Problem With the Muswell Hill area there’s No competition for Miles around so they can get away with charging way over the top. The nearest Spoons is at Southgate or Finchley. But The Green Man/The Hill bar is now empty yet again so lets hope Wetherspoons Buy and turn it back into a good Pub this area needs It.

P/s Went into One local at Muswell Hill the other night and got charged £6.84 For a Pint of Adnams & a Small Pepsi.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 05-03-2010 at 20:33. Reason: Add P/s
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

P/s Went into One local at Muswell Hill the other night and got charged £6.84 For a Pint of Adnams & a Small Pepsi.
    FFS! You gotta move Ales.

Wow I think my first Pint was around 24p in 1973 for a Pint of Light & Bitter. Or A Pint of Light & Mild. Now In Muswell Hill where I live your lucky If you can get a Pint for just short of £4.00.
    Old Peculiar in the Little Gem in Aylesford - 33p/pint in 1977. Same year, Young's Best was 25p/pint in The Tudor Rose, Upnor.
    Last edited by ETA; 05-03-2010 at 21:26.