Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Price rises

Default Price rises

I went to Tamworth FC last Tuesday, went in its clubhouse and ordered my usual. I sorted out my change (£2.50) and was about to hand over to barmaid.

Barmaid: That'll be £2.80 please

Hoppy: What?!

Barmaid: Yes I am afraid so.

I was fuming and forced to handed over extra 30p..

Now this brings me wonder there is must be some of law informing customer beaware of price rise. I can accept 5p or 10p rise but 30p???

Month ago.. In The Bole Bridge, I ordered pint of Ruddles County which was 99p and only to found out it has risen overnight.. cost? Bleeding £1.65!!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Had a pint of Ruddles for £1.49p in the Kings Fee, Hereford ,a JDW last week. My local increased the price of my usual Hobsons by 10p upto £2.30p.. The only place I can get it cheaper is if I go shop lifting.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Another one for Ed this. I think to be honest it is the start of a trend we are going to see a lot of. Inflation does seem to be building up and a lot of places have been sat on their prices for quite a while, I think when they raise them they are going to push them up quite a bit in anticipation of avoiding raising them again in a hurry, short sharp shock rather than lots of small 5p increases.

Always grim when you have the right change sorted and they suddenly hit you with the cost rise though

I was in a pub in Chiswick some time ago and paid £3.10 for a pint of Guinness and when I went up to the bar for a second pint I was charged £3.30. I enquired about extra 20p and the barman told me that they had just put the prices up as the older and cheaper barrel had just run out.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Had a pint of Ruddles for £1.49p in the Kings Fee, Hereford ,a JDW last week. My local increased the price of my usual Hobsons by 10p upto £2.30p.. The only place I can get it cheaper is if I go shop lifting.
    Lucky we do have another JDW selling Ruddles for £1.49
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Lucky we do have another JDW selling Ruddles for £1.49
    I'm not sure drinking Ruddles could ever be considered "lucky" whatever the price.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I'm not sure drinking Ruddles could ever be considered "lucky" whatever the price.
    If you drink it while eating the Allday Breakfast it not to bad. The grease coats you taste buds and the Ruddles sorts of slithers down your throat unnoticed.

JDW is becoming a saviour for people couldn't afford few pints in normal pubs..

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    JDW is becoming a saviour for people couldn't afford few pints in normal pubs..
    Yep indeed, my local recently upped 6X from 2.70 to 2.80, but with a JDW on the cards for Waterlooville I will flash the bus pass and join all the other poor old farts in there

We're holding off until the budget. We have so far only done one price increase a year, but this year a larger than life one (30p sounds about right) is expected.

VAT increase (swallowed) = 10p pint (prev £3)
    Brewers increase (swallowed) - between 5-7p a pint (plus vat) = a rounded up 10p
    Duty increase - expect another 5p + VAT a pint
    VAT increase - my money's on 20% VAT rate
    NI increase - not sure how to break this down into cost per pint
    Rates increase - as above

Plus potential: Min Wage increase (we pay more than MW but if that goes up 10p/hr we normally add 10p/hr to our wages)

I'm dreading doing it all in one go, but all the above increases are to make the same amount of money as before.

It's the same in any business, but pubs feel more personal than others (IMO), and I don't want to go over the £3 mark but it seems increasingly the norm (my recent trip to oxford and east anglia, as well as other pubs in the area). We'll see what happens when the budget comes out.

Sorry for the negative outlook!