Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes A Beer Garden A Beer Garden?

I often use the phrase "some outside seating" which means that the outside area isn't really a garden.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I often use the phrase "some outside seating" which means that the outside area isn't really a garden.
    Good idea.Will use that phrase as a few pubs have outside seating but when garden is pushing it a bit.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I tend to class a beer garden as any outside area to take your drink, but a couple of tables on the pavement or a tiny smoking den in the back yard is pushing my classification a bit far!
    Pretty much my take on things.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Rather than starting a new thread I found this, which has some relevance.
    In view of pubs potentially opening under guidelines and primarily for outside drinking (I think?), who has a favourite pub with garden/outside area?
    I previously mentioned a lack of enthusiasm for drinking externally at a pub (but will bow to majority in company) so not too many I can necessarily recall. Halfway House has a large grassed area and a beer festival when I was last there long ago, there are a handful nearer-by I can think of with concrete 'gardens', but where would you head to for a positive outside experience..? (External space, not out-of-body)...

The Baum I think.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ...who has a favourite pub with garden/outside area?
    I previously mentioned a lack of enthusiasm for drinking externally at a pub (but will bow to majority in company) so not too many I can necessarily recall. Halfway House has a large grassed area and a beer festival when I was last there long ago, there are a handful nearer-by I can think of with concrete 'gardens'...
    The Halfway House that you mention got one of my very rare 10s when I was there just over a year ago. Happy days!

...but where would you head to for a positive outside experience..?
    There are quite a few near me, but I think in this weather and with the pubs reopening after more than three months abstinence, they're going to be hugely crowded.

The Blake Hotel
    The Wellington
    Shakespeares
    Kelham Island Tavern
    The Fat Cat
    Gardeners Rest

The Blake is the largest of these, I reckon. The others, if a one metre separation is attempted, will soon become full.

...(External space, not out-of-body)...
    Maybe your mention of an out-of-body experience is not such a bad idea. Do you have a supply of magic mushrooms?
    Come On You Hatters!

I'm rather stuck, the pubs in our city either have no or small beer gardens or are rubbish pubs. The alternative is a bus trip to somewhere with better pubs and public transport isn't at its best at the moment. Looks like Beerhawk and Roosters Brewery etc will continue getting my custom for a while.

Real Ale Drinker

Living in a city centre (Liverpool), as I do , there are no pubs that I can think of that have an actual garden (grass and shite). There are loads of pubs however that advertise they have a 'garden' but these are either courtyards, pavements, terraces or, in a few cases, just the entrance to the outside shitter so its either down to reviewers to put people right or just get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The Halfway House that you mention got one of my very rare 10s when I was there just over a year ago. Happy days!
    It's just about in walking range for me going out, but getting back is a different matter...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I now recall turning right from bar to an outside area at Wellington, but no memory of such at Shakespeares, KIT or FC, but there may be reasons for that...
    Here's another I did make a note of: Selborne Arms but, after taking notes (good old days), I stayed in the bar!