Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Smiths or Wetherspoons?

Default Sam Smiths or Wetherspoons?

Imagine the scenario, the lease on your local pub that you have been using for years is up for grabs and the landlord tells you that Samuel Smiths and Wetherspoons are both trying to buy it – Which would you prefer?

Not likely I know but I’d plump for a Sam Smiths, so that is one vote each preempting Hopwas’ vote!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I would Say Wetherspoons If theres not already one locally as they usually have a much better selection of Guest beers & Bottled Beers. But if there is already a wethers in the area it would be nice too have a choice of both.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I have never visited a Sam Smiths pub to my knowledge. Its nothing personal just that there don't seem to be any in my area or those I visit. It makes any choice difficult as I do not know what Sam Smiths have to offer.
    I will go with Ales on this one as I believe in as much variety as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I do not know what Sam Smiths have to offer.
    What Sam Smith offer is one cask beer - no guests - plus their own keg offerings. On the other hand the pubs are usually well run, no chavs, no messy tables, adequete staff and the beer is cheap, OBB is usually under £1.50 a pint in Yorkshire. They don't usually do much food and if they take credit cards they will charge you 1.5% for the privilege. They normally are a bit shy of putting their name outside the pub. In London they seem to have bought up some historic pubs, Princess Louise, Old Cheshire Cheese and Cittie of York amongst them. Personally it would be a 'Spoons rather than a Sams on the basis of choice only.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Imagine the scenario, the lease on your local pub that you have been using for years is up for grabs and the landlord tells you that Samuel Smiths and Wetherspoons are both trying to buy it – Which would you prefer?

Not likely I know but I’d plump for a Sam Smiths, so that is one vote each preempting Hopwas’ vote!
    JDW every time. We're surrounded by Sams pubs where we live and of the 5 nearby pubs only one of them serves cask OBB.

Even close to it's homeland Sams is turning into a keg brewery. There's no excuse for it when cask is the only area of the beer market to be holding it's own.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I can safely say I will go for good old faithful JDW because I never set foot in Sam Smiths pub chain...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Ah, but Wetherspoons don’t have dartboards!

Is it only London SS pubs that are restored to their former glory or is it a country wide thing?

Ah, but Wetherspoons don’t have dartboards!

Is it only London SS pubs that are restored to their former glory or is it a country wide thing?
    Sams do keep their pub estate in good condition all over the country, it's just a shame about the beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I don’t mind the OBB, but as has been mentioned it is becoming less prevalent.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Outside London I've only been to Queen's Head, Stockport, & Wortley Almshouses, Peterborough, and both of those indicate that, yes, Sams preserve their pubs well, and all the better for it! Great pricing policy too but, as to the question Sams or Spoons? - I'd ideally like a hybrid of the two for good beer choice in excellent surroundings. Ho hummm...