Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JDW cat amongst the indifferent pigeons

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default JDW cat amongst the indifferent pigeons

Just read in my local rag, JDW is planning on opening in Waterlooville, Hants. According to the report it will be in premises next to The Heroes pub

For those [most] who do not know Waterlooville it has 2 pubs, at opposite ends of the town centre, the Heroes is the better one of the two, but that is not saying much TBH

Should be interesting to see how this all pans out, glad I am not the tenant of the Heroes though

More good news is McDonalds may be closing and clearing off to a drive in somewhere else

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Will it be Bonnie Tyler, & 'I need a hero'
    or The Stranglers, & 'No More Heroes, Anymore'?

New JDW in Waterlooville? Never been there but have been to nearby Havant in 2000 when Tamworth played Havant & Waterlooville. Very strange town, I can't explain but seems something just not right with Havant..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

The Spoons in Stone is worth a visit, Hoppy - i have been a few times and i can cope with it!
    MILD:

Stayed at Hilsea for a week last year but never visited either Havant or Waterlooville.Living some distance from the coast on my rare visits I like to stay close to the shoreline. The area has some good pubs to visit and I like the history around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    The Spoons in Stone is worth a visit, Hoppy - i have been a few times and i can cope with it!
    Funny thing you have mentioned this..

After visiting Cannock last week, Stone is now the largest settlement in Staffordshire I never visited..

Thanks for heads up, Soupy!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    New JDW in Waterlooville? Never been there but have been to nearby Havant in 2000 when Tamworth played Havant & Waterlooville. Very strange town, I can't explain but seems something just not right with Havant..
    Yep, strange place, mind it was all burnt down in 1760, leaving just Old House at Home pub & church. I think it comes about because this original centre, near church has been allowed to diminish in preference to newer pedestrian areas and station, thus moving activities to same old style of town any old where

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I don't think the pubs of Didsbury village (as we indigenous souls call it) will be indifferent to the imminent opening of the Milson Rhodes, at the site of the ghastly Pitcher & Piano on School Lane. Due to open 19March, it is sure to have an impact, as spoons prices always do, on the abundance of pubs nearby. That said, Didsbury has lots of pubs without a huge variety of beer choice, so maybe it needs a gentle shake up.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I don't think the pubs of Didsbury village (as we indigenous souls call it) will be indifferent to the imminent opening of the Milson Rhodes, at the site of the ghastly Pitcher & Piano on School Lane. Due to open 19March, it is sure to have an impact, as spoons prices always do, on the abundance of pubs nearby. That said, Didsbury has lots of pubs without a huge variety of beer choice, so maybe it needs a gentle shake up.
    Well certainly the P & P in Didsbury is no loss to the community, what a dump that was!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Well certainly the P & P in Didsbury is no loss to the community, what a dump that was!
    Although I don't know the pub (or indeed the village), I always think that it's bad when even a dump closes.

Firstly, it's another pub lost, unless there is someone who has the energy and the funds) to renovate, address the bad reputation and make a go of a whole business. Unless this happens, I guess the pub is either torn down or the building recycled as housing or offices, and another piece of social history disappears. Second, even really bad pubs have a purpose - they keep low-lifes out of the better pubs. (Whoops there go my politically correct credentials.)