Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: One for the Londoners here - Are Antic in trouble ?

This Space For Hire

Antic have decided to sell 11 of their pubs.They will either vacate the premises or continue renting from the new owners.They can only be viewed through Fleurets.Included in the sales notice is this statement
    Please note staff are unaware and should not be approached under any circumstances.
    Great employer ?

Another beer related site that I frequent has posted a tranche of Antic pubs as closed. Thinking about it, I've never actually been in any,though the London based scribes on that site have been known to use 'em.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Another beer related site that I frequent has posted a tranche of Antic pubs as closed. Thinking about it, I've never actually been in any,though the London based scribes on that site have been known to use 'em.
    Have been in the Job Centre and Walker Briggs and don't think they have much outside space if any so may be closed as they cant make a profit.Woudnt surprise me if they have closed for good though.I have noticed you sometimes post on Beers and Pubs so checked it out.

I think the Antic 'closures' are only temporary. They adopted a phased reopening plan from 4th July - there were around 15 or so that opened straight away and they've been opening others as and when they feel they are ready (the Sylvan Post in Forest Hill opened its doors again today, becoming the 28th Antic pub to do so). There are still around 10 that have not yet reopened, but the Antic website suggests they intend to have them all back in business as soon as it's feasible to do so. I certainly hope that's the case, as a few that I use regularly are yet to get back up and running yet.

The Antic website has listed 13 pubs that are no longer operating as part of the pub group.

"I’m afraid that 36 hours before the latest lockdown our long term financial partners decided to serve notice upon us to terminate our management relationship for those pubs in which they had an interest with immediate effect and replace us with Portobello Brewing, and so you may see some changes when you visit post lockdown. We had no prior notice of this intent and we have made it clear that such an action was to our mind untimely, unwarranted, and we believe ill-conceived, and certainly not what one would expect from an 11 year relationship. I guess that all break ups are a surprise for the party on the receiving end…

We shall do all that we can to ensure that these pubs are returned to the Antic Collective, sooner rather than later, after all they were all conceived by us and quite a few were established long before our funders involvement, and the spirit of our rather eclectic public house approach is clear to see within both the buildings and the lovely folk who put them at the heart of the communities that they serve. We are well aware that your pub is more than just a building investment upon a ledger, and having been doing what we do for some 21 years, we firmly believe in our approach and so worry not, we have no intention of going quietly into the pandemic night. Some things are just too damn important."

The pubs in question are:

Suttons Radio - Lewisham
    Walker Briggs - Crystal Palace
    Shinner & Sudtone - Sutton
    John the Unicorn - Peckham
    Knowles of Norwood - West Norwood
    Eltham GPO - Eltham
    The Forest Tavern - Forest Gate
    Farr's School of Dancing - Dalston
    Pratts & Payne - Streatham
    Old Red Lion - Kennington
    Sylvan Post - Forest Hill
    Royal Albert - New Cross
    Westow House - Crystal Palace

In addition, whilst not listed on the website as being part of the above change of management, these pubs appear to have undergone the same fate:

Manor of Walworth -Walworth
    Effra Social - Brixton

And these pubs still haven't reopened since lockdown ended:

Pineapple - Elephant & Castle
    The Baring Hall - Grove Park
    The Tooting Tram & Social - Tooting

By my reckoning, that leaves them with 24 pubs. The three that are seemingly still closed could bump that number up to 27, but either way, that's a pretty big hit for the chain. Prior to the pandemic, their website also listed three or four new sites that were due to open in 2020, but all mention of these has vanished from the website too.

It's unclear whether all of the transferred pubs are currently open - hopefully they will all pull through and continue to offer a decent range of cask ales. I actually went to one of these pubs, the Westow House, quite recently and didn't notice anything obviously different except for the fact that they only had one cask ale on, but I put that down to a post-lockdown drop in demand.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    The Antic website has listed 13 pubs that are no longer operating as part of the pub group.

"I’m afraid that 36 hours before the latest lockdown our long term financial partners decided to serve notice upon us to terminate our management relationship for those pubs in which they had an interest with immediate effect and replace us with Portobello Brewing, and so you may see some changes when you visit post lockdown. We had no prior notice of this intent and we have made it clear that such an action was to our mind untimely, unwarranted, and we believe ill-conceived, and certainly not what one would expect from an 11 year relationship. I guess that all break ups are a surprise for the party on the receiving end…

We shall do all that we can to ensure that these pubs are returned to the Antic Collective, sooner rather than later, after all they were all conceived by us and quite a few were established long before our funders involvement, and the spirit of our rather eclectic public house approach is clear to see within both the buildings and the lovely folk who put them at the heart of the communities that they serve. We are well aware that your pub is more than just a building investment upon a ledger, and having been doing what we do for some 21 years, we firmly believe in our approach and so worry not, we have no intention of going quietly into the pandemic night. Some things are just too damn important."

Suttons Radio - Lewisham
    Eltham GPO - Eltham
    Royal Albert - New Cross

In addition, whilst not listed on the website as being part of the above change of management, these pubs appear to have undergone the same fate:

Effra Social - Brixton

By my reckoning, that leaves them with 24 pubs. The three that are seemingly still closed could bump that number up to 27, but either way, that's a pretty big hit for the chain. Prior to the pandemic, their website also listed three or four new sites that were due to open in 2020, but all mention of these has vanished from the website too.

It's unclear whether all of the transferred pubs are currently open - hopefully they will all pull through and continue to offer a decent range of cask ales. I actually went to one of these pubs, the Westow House, quite recently and didn't notice anything obviously different except for the fact that they only had one cask ale on, but I put that down to a post-lockdown drop in demand.
    Hmmmm...I've only seen and/or visited Farr's School of Dancing, so can't comment.

This Space For Hire

The 13 were apparently pulled in November 2020 by backers Downing. I think these were mainly the ones bought out of administration when Antic Limited went bust in 2013, while Antic London continued trading with others. In March 2021 Antic arranged funding through some outfit called ThinCats (as opposed to FatCats presumably) - details here.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post

Suttons Radio - Lewisham
    Eltham GPO - Eltham
    Royal Albert - New Cross

Effra Social - Brixton

I was aware of this but not the extent,so thats a useful list as I'm not too keen on Portobello ales. whereas Antic usually have a pokey guest ale even if their offering can be quite limited.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson