Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost East End Pubs

I'll stay on me own

Default Lost East End Pubs

In the mid to late 80s i went in quite a few pubs in Londons East End,most were in Bethnal Green,Mile End or Hackney.

I have been looking for these pubs on the site but lots seem to be missing,i took phot's of some of these lost pubs but they are on the old 110 film and i am unable to get them on disc.

Here are four pubs that i could not find on the site

Duke of Sussex Shepherd Neame tied house 94 goldsmith row Bethnal Green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    Durham Arms Watney tied house,no real ale here, 408 hackney road Bethnal green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    The Hare Ben Truman tied house Real ales on the bar, 505 cambridge heath road Bethnal Green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    Rose and Crown Youngs tied house, 13/15/mare street, Hackney, Pub visited 21/11/1987

There are loads more pubs i have done in this area of London but most were not photographed.

I would be very interested if anyone knows of these pubs or has even been in them.

Cheers Alan

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    In the mid to late 80s i went in quite a few pubs in Londons East End,most were in Bethnal Green,Mile End or Hackney.

I have been looking for these pubs on the site but lots seem to be missing,i took phot's of some of these lost pubs but they are on the old 110 film and i am unable to get them on disc.

Duke of Sussex Shepherd Neame tied house 94 goldsmith row Bethnal Green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    Durham Arms Watney tied house,no real ale here, 408 hackney road Bethnal green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    The Hare Ben Truman tied house Real ales on the bar, 505 cambridge heath road Bethnal Green Pub visited 21/11/1987
    Rose and Crown Youngs tied house, 13/15/mare street, Hackney, Pub visited 21/11/1987

There are loads more pubs i have done in this area of London but most were not photographed.

I would be very interested if anyone knows of these pubs or has even been in them.

Cheers Alan
    Al The Hare is here.

The Rose and Crown 13 -15 Mare Street still has a pub frontage but is closed.It's close to the canal,so I can pop up and photograph that as well.I dont normally submit closed pubs but if that helps you I will do so.Also never been inside.

There is a pub at 94 Goldsmiths Row now called The Albion,owned by a Baggies fan.Popular real ale pub,sadly unvisited by me.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 25-07-2013 at 12:03.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Here is the Durham Arms.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Thanks for those Bucking Fastard and Strongers,

I did'nt think of looking at Cambridge Heath i was just looking at the Bethnal Green and Hackney lists,the Albion is definatly the ex Duke of Sussex.

I will have to chuck a few more pubs into the pot that i dont know about as it did not take long for both of you to sort the first four pubs out.

Do you have any ideas about how to get old 110 negatives onto disc,i have asked at Asda and they dont have the right sized machines to do it.

Cheers Alan

I found these.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Cheers Alan
    You will find these sites extremely useful for this :-

The Lost Pubs Project

East London Beer Guide

I've no recollection at all of the Durham Arms. It is shown under E2 as a closed pub.

As I remember the Hare was a Truman's pub and I vaguely recall once playing darts in there. It's listed on the site in E2 with a review by Rex Rattus.

The Duke of Sussex was if I remember rightly a Bass Charrington House before becoming a Shep's house. It is now The Albion and again is on the site in E2 with a review by Pubsignman. I'm fairly certain I visited it as a Bass Charrington pub, but don't remember much, other than it was probably one of the better pubs in E2.

The Rose and Crown was one of the eight East London Young's pubs back in the seventies. The only two that survive as Young's houses are the Prince(ss) Of Wales in Lea Bridge Road E5 and the Queen's Head in Flamborough Street E14. This one, the Royal Standard in E8, the Norfolk Arms in E8 and the Britannia in Barking are all gone. I visited this place an more than one occasion as well as all the other 7 Young's pubs. It was a pretty basic boozer.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I found these.
    Thanks for that Strongers,they look very interesting,just got to save some money now and get one,all of my spare cash goes on pub crawls.

If i do ever get one there will be some very interesting photo's appearing on Pubs Galore.

Cheers Alan

This Space For Hire

Do you have any ideas about how to get old 110 negatives onto disc,i have asked at Asda and they dont have the right sized machines to do it.

Cheers Alan
    Google says there's quite a few firms, eg http://www.110processing.co.uk/

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You will find these sites extremely useful for this :-

The Lost Pubs Project

East London Beer Guide

I've no recollection at all of the Durham Arms. It is shown under E2 as a closed pub.

As I remember the Hare was a Truman's pub and I vaguely recall once playing darts in there. It's listed on the site in E2 with a review by Rex Rattus.

The Duke of Sussex was if I remember rightly a Bass Charrington House before becoming a Shep's house. It is now The Albion and again is on the site in E2 with a review by Pubsignman. I'm fairly certain I visited it as a Bass Charrington pub, but don't remember much, other than it was probably one of the better pubs in E2.

The Rose and Crown was one of the eight East London Young's pubs back in the seventies. The only two that survive as Young's houses are the Prince(ss) Of Wales in Lea Bridge Road E5 and the Queen's Head in Flamborough Street E14. This one, the Royal Standard in E8, the Norfolk Arms in E8 and the Britannia in Barking are all gone. I visited this place an more than one occasion as well as all the other 7 Young's pubs. It was a pretty basic boozer.
    I have got the 1991 East London and City real ale guide which listed all pubs in the East End,but quite a few of the pubs i did down there were done in the 80s,all of the pubs i have just listed were in that guide though.

Thanks Alan

I have got the 1991 East London and City real ale guide which listed all pubs in the East End,but quite a few of the pubs i did down there were done in the 80s,all of the pubs i have just listed were in that guide though.

Thanks Alan
    The online guide is an updated version of the printed one, so it shows renames and closures.
    I have some old 110 format B/W negatives and I looked into the possibility of a scanner that would do them (this was quite a few years ago now). I ended up with a scanner that just handled 35mm film and transparencies, as one that did 110 film as well was just too expensive.

However I did find This at Amazon.