Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: How Should I Review This Pub

I'll stay on me own

Default How Should I Review This Pub

I went in a pub in Birmingham yesterday that has been photographed but not reviewed.

I want to do a review but the goings on in ths pub were very unusuall,while i was ordering my drink two women who were sat at the bar,asked the landlord for an ashtray,which he got straight away,they then started to smoke.

I then sat down to write my review,i noticed a bone on the floor which had raw flesh on it,and there were a couple of scrawny looking cats chewing at them every so often.

After i had written my notes i looked round the room which had about 5 different groups of drinkers ranging from their 40s up to 70s,all were smoking,this amused me and reminded my of times gone by,i have never smoked but it still did'nt bother me.

Do i review to pub as i saw,or do i ignore what was going on in my review.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I visited a pub in Brighton last year where the customers were smoking. I omitted this fact from my review as it would be an allegation of illegal behaviour.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I went in a pub in Birmingham yesterday that has been photographed but not reviewed.

I want to do a review but the goings on in ths pub were very unusuall,while i was ordering my drink two women who were sat at the bar,asked the landlord for an ashtray,which he got straight away,they then started to smoke.

I then sat down to write my review,i noticed a bone on the floor which had raw flesh on it,and there were a couple of scrawny looking cats chewing at them every so often.

After i had written my notes i looked round the room which had about 5 different groups of drinkers ranging from their 40s up to 70s,all were smoking,this amused me and reminded my of times gone by,i have never smoked but it still did'nt bother me.

Do i review to pub as i saw,or do i ignore what was going on in my review.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
    You should review as you saw in my opinion.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

"Popular with smokers......" or ...shame about the smell of stale smoke"? Obviously the smokers stand outside or the landlord smokes when the joint is shut.

I've never come across this and hope I never do!! The heinous crime of eating food bought elsewhere is all I've come across, most recently a young girl eating a big mac outside the Victoria Station Spoons.

I would say something like "completely unaffected by the smoking ban" or "This pub is apparently exempt from the smoking ban". I wonder what would happen if you or anyone else had complained.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Al, I have seen the same kind of thing, but dont stress it in my review, as it is illegal - this is how I chose to sum-up one such place - "The service was functional at best and the clientele consisted of several mature locals sitting around the bar.... Very much a locals pub and long may it remain that".

Yes, they were having a fag.
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I would just allude to smell of tobacco smoke, which is what I did on one near me, now demolished

If you wish to get more involved, see http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/faq/enforcement.html

From same web site

Members of the public may alternatively call the smokefree compliance line on 0800 587 166 7 to report possible breaches of the law. Your call will be answered by a call centre operator, who will then forward the information to the relevant local councils to follow-up as appropriate.

A call to the smokefree compliance line should be approximately 3 minutes long. Information will be emailed to local authorities on a daily basis.
    I drink to make others more interesting

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Hi Al, I have seen the same kind of thing, but dont stress it in my review, as it is illegal - this is how I chose to sum-up one such place - "The service was functional at best and the clientele consisted of several mature locals sitting around the bar.... Very much a locals pub and long may it remain that".

Yes, they were having a fag.
    I think i will go down that route Soup Dragon,

I am not a grass and with so many pubs closing down i would'nt like the be responsible for another one being shut down.

Thanks for your thoughts on this touchy subject

Cheers Alan