Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smethwick

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default Smethwick

Dear PG'ers

I just wanted to draw attention to my recent trips to Smethwick. I have not completed the area as yet, but nearly have - this is because so many of the pubs have closed, or in some cases, do not sell draught beer anymore.

1. Would you agree with me, that if a pub no longer serves draught beer, it should be closed off on the site? My issue is that if i do that, it makes even more depressing reading.

2. As i went around, i noticed the Spoons' pub is no longer a Spoons - they have pulled out - does anyone else know of a Spoons that has closed/sold off?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post

1. Would you agree with me, that if a pub no longer serves draught beer, it should be closed off on the site? My issue is that if i do that, it makes even more depressing reading.
    I think that would be a mistake. It would automatically exclude all Brewdog outlets, which if I could afford it would potentially give a try. A lot of the newer Ale Houses in London are former keg hovels.

2. As i went around, i noticed the Spoons' pub is no longer a Spoons - they have pulled out - does anyone else know of a Spoons that has closed/sold off?
    There are scores of them in London! My nearest abomination of a pub was originally a Spoons. There must be half a dozen or so in the Tottenham area alone. If you come across a pub called "The Misty Moon" it will probably be an ex-Spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think that would be a mistake. It would automatically exclude all Brewdog outlets, which if I could afford it would potentially give a try. A lot of the newer Ale Houses in London are former keg hovels.
    Sorry, I mean the place only serves beer in cans - Carling mainly, and i noticed a few bottles.
    MILD:

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The Grid Inn (JD Wetherspoon) Tim Martin apparently paid Tesco to take on the lease of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The Grid Inn (JD Wetherspoon) Tim Martin apparently paid Tesco to take on the lease of this one.
    I wonder how many have gone outside London?
    MILD:

I would say 45!!

See this site which is a veritable goldmine for Wetherfans,

Sorry, I mean the place only serves beer in cans - Carling mainly, and i noticed a few bottles.
    I've only ever seen that around 40 years ago in Becky's Dive Bar when she started selling Ruddles Bitter from large party cans. Is it common in the Midlands and North?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've only ever seen that around 40 years ago in Becky's Dive Bar when she started selling Ruddles Bitter from large party cans. Is it common in the Midlands and North?
    No, but i fear it may becoming more common
    MILD:

This Space For Hire

I brought this up after encountering this in a few of Bristol's pubs/bars. The common consensus was leave them as the site caters for all. E.G My quest was based on serving draught and to have a pint in every pub that does. I may even return to the none draught venues and have a bottle to complete a full quest as I know this will niggle me as the full revisit quest is down to less than 50 pubs in less than a two year period.

Obviously if ale drinkers over lager encounter the lack of draught will be an increased disappointment.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 12-08-2013 at 20:42.

I'll stay on me own

One in Bristol - The Magic Box