Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Links to stuff that I need to put on the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    It always used to be the case that if a pub was renamed then photo's showing the pub with the old name were removed from the main page as a matter of course. This was back when it was just Dave & Conrad doing it, but it seemed logical.

The downside of that though was that you might then end up without a photo on the main page. Is it better to have an old photo than none at all? And not only that, but if viewing a list of pubs it would still have the photo icon next to it, even though there wasn't one (on the main page).
    There may be a technical solution to that, but it might involve more work on Dave's part than he has time for at the moment, I would guess.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Each of us as photographers has the right to suppress our own photos from the summary page, and I always do this with my own photos (when I remember to do so). My suggestion would be that those of us who have been given photo approval access should also have limited photo suppression rights, with reasons stated and challengeable. [Stands back in anticipation of shower of vitriol.]
    I took this on-board and decided to suppress one of the only three photos of this pub from the main page, my local and they are all my photos, it is the one interior bar scene, I am still not convinced whether it needs suppressing or not as it does give a flavour of what you will possibly find when inside,the public bar anyway,but to the casual viewer maybe the more photogenic exterior shots would look better than three rather substantial gents crowded around the bar. But it is what it is, a locals pub and I know all the pictured stout chaps personally.Anyhow unsure or not I decided to set it to do not show on the main page, checked today and it came up main page anyway.
    So four questions,
    1- Should it be suppressed given the nature of the pub it depicts.
    2- Is there a glitch as it has not been suppressed from the front page.
    3- Am I being too impatient.
    4- Or am I just computer/site incompetent .
    Serious replies required for question one , I am thinking its OK but not sure how other users are thinking on this?
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 26-03-2014 at 18:26. Reason: Only three chaps visibly substantial in the photo rather than four.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I took this on-board and decided to suppress one of the only three photos of this pub from the main page, my local and they are all my photos, it is the one interior bar scene, I am still not convinced whether it needs suppressing or not as it does give a flavour of what you will possibly find when inside,the public bar anyway,but to the casual viewer maybe the more photogenic exterior shots would look better than three rather substantial gents crowded around the bar. But it is what it is, a locals pub and I know all the pictured stout chaps personally.Anyhow unsure or not I decided to set it to do not show on the main page, checked today and it came up main page anyway.
    So four questions,
    1- Should it be suppressed given the nature of the pub it depicts.
    2- Is there a glitch as it has not been suppressed from the front page.
    3- Am I being too impatient.
    4- Or am I just computer/site incompetent .
    Serious replies required for question one , I am thinking its OK but not sure how other users are thinking on this?
    I'm impressed that you've given this some thought and taken some action subsequent to the thought process. My personal answers to your questions (and I do not pretend to represent the site or a consensus of users):
    1) I agree this is the type of photo I would suppress if given the power. However representative of a typical pub scene it might be, it is not, as you correctly say, what the casual viewer would expect to see on the main page.
    2) Don't know.
    3) Only time will tell.
    4) Quite possibly. When you go to the pictures page and select a picture that you have contributed, an extra button appears that was not previously available. The text inside the button reads "Don't show picture on main page". If you click on this button, it immediately changes to "Do show picture on main page", i.e. the words in the button describe the button's function, they do not describe the picture's status. The fact that your picture of three blokes standing at the bar is still appearing on the main page suggests to me that the button now reads "Don't show picture on main page". I don't know - the button doesn't appear when I look at it, because it's not my picture.

Hope this helps.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm impressed that you've given this some thought and taken some action subsequent to the thought process. My personal answers to your questions (and I do not pretend to represent the site or a consensus of users):
    1) I agree this is the type of photo I would suppress if given the power. However representative of a typical pub scene it might be, it is not, as you correctly say, what the casual viewer would expect to see on the main page.
    2) Don't know.
    3) Only time will tell.
    4) Quite possibly. When you go to the pictures page and select a picture that you have contributed, an extra button appears that was not previously available. The text inside the button reads "Don't show picture on main page". If you click on this button, it immediately changes to "Do show picture on main page", i.e. the words in the button describe the button's function, they do not describe the picture's status. The fact that your picture of three blokes standing at the bar is still appearing on the main page suggests to me that the button now reads "Don't show picture on main page". I don't know - the button doesn't appear when I look at it, because it's not my picture.

Hope this helps.
    Yes I think it did help, so what confused me was the button saying do not show on main page when in fact it should be saying do show, after managing to wipe all the pictures from the pub it dawned on me so have now sorted it. Cheers.
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    It always used to be the case that if a pub was renamed then photo's showing the pub with the old name were removed from the main page as a matter of course. This was back when it was just Dave & Conrad doing it, but it seemed logical.

The downside of that though was that you might then end up without a photo on the main page. Is it better to have an old photo than none at all? And not only that, but if viewing a list of pubs it would still have the photo icon next to it, even though there wasn't one (on the main page).
    What is going off with this hiding pubs from the main pubs page this pub The Park has 3 photos all hidden,the pub still has the same name,so why are they hidden.

Another Sheffield pub which has changed names Graze Inn still has its old pub name of Champs on the main pub page while it is operating under a different name.

All very

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    What is going off with this hiding pubs from the main pubs page ...
    As far as I know, apart from Dave M, only the original submitter can make the decision to show or hide photos on the main page of the pub, so in the case of The Park that would be Jim Newell, Alan Winfield and Will Larter who made the choice if it wasn't Dave.

What is going off with this hiding pubs from the main pubs page this pub The Park has 3 photos all hidden,the pub still has the same name,so why are they hidden.

Another Sheffield pub which has changed names Graze Inn still has its old pub name of Champs on the main pub page while it is operating under a different name.

All very
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    As far as I know, apart from Dave M, only the original submitter can make the decision to show or hide photos on the main page of the pub, so in the case of The Park that would be Jim Newell, Alan Winfield and Will Larter who made the choice if it wasn't Dave.
    Can't understand why The Park pictures have been suppressed at all ? It leaves no pictures on the main page.Nuts.
    -W.C.Fields

my understanding also...

Looks like there may have been a glitch. I certainly didn't hide my photo of the Park, and judging by your posting above, I don't suppose you did either, Al.

I've clicked the button that should allow my picture to reappear on the main page... just checked, and it's back.

I've now hidden my photo of Graze when it was Champs.

Strange if all three of us spontaneously decided to not show our photos of the same pub for no apparent reason... especially as one of the three is now complaining about it! Confirms my first thought that there may be a gremlin in the works.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 09-04-2014 at 01:53.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

I have never hidden any photo's that i have taken and put on this site,ime not sure how you would do it,just the same i am not that sure how to put it back on the pubs page,i did press a button but dont know if anything happened.