Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Links to stuff that I need to put on the site!

How does the pubs with CAMRA discount update ? Automaticaly. or is it manual, I notice the Greyfriar is not represented on the list but it is mentioned on the pub details.Its not on the check reviews link.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 19-03-2014 at 21:46. Reason: Cant spell. Still cant by the looks of it.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    How does the pubs with CAMRA discount update ? Automaticaly. or is it manual, I notice the Greyfriar is not represented on the list but it is mentioned on the pub details.Its not on the check reviews link.
    It was set to no on the details even though the free text had been filled in.

It's on there now.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It was set to no on the details even though the free text had been filled in.

It's on there now.
    Hee hee that'll actually need to come off at the end of the month as the licensee has decided to end it after the conclusion of our Ale Trail. I'm just off to correct the review.

I'd really like those old Malthouse photos to be excluded from appearing on the front page. It'd be nice to get that option back for admins.
    Last edited by Quinno; 20-03-2014 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Hee hee that'll actually need to come off at the end of the month as the licensee has decided to end it after the conclusion of our Ale Trail. I'm just off to correct the review.
    Bugger.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'd really like those old Malthouse photos to be excluded from appearing on the front page. It'd be nice to get that option back for admins.
    Just giving this a bump in case Dave is around. We didn't talk about this when we met in Worcester, but it's been on my mind for some time that there are some photos which have been approved for the site but which, in my opinion, really shouldn't appear on the summary page. For example, interior shots, especially of of people drinking or eating, pictures of special features like tiles, carvings or blue plaques, pictures of a pub when it had a different name. All these are valid and acceptable pictures to appear on the photos page, but if they also appear randomly on the summary page they are not truly representative of the pub's appearance.

I know that there were some concerns about photos being "deleted" when this subject came up a couple of years ago, and I'm not suggesting anything like that. Pubs Galore is a great site partly because it accepts (almost) any photo from members, therefore making us (or at least those of us who submit photos) feel a sense of belonging and value. However, it is also a site that attracts casual viewers, who are just looking for info about a pub - so it seems to me reasonable that only those photos that represent the pub in its present guise should appear on the summary page.

Each of us as photographers has the right to suppress our own photos from the summary page, and I always do this with my own photos (when I remember to do so). My suggestion would be that those of us who have been given photo approval access should also have limited photo suppression rights, with reasons stated and challengeable. [Stands back in anticipation of shower of vitriol.]
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My suggestion would be that those of us who have been given photo approval access should also have limited photo suppression rights, with reasons stated and challengeable. [Stands back in anticipation of shower of vitriol.]

A vitriolic "totally agree" from me. I approved a couple the other day that I would have liked the option to not show on the main page.

They were photo's of the view from the pub, rather than of the pub, so valid enough in their own way.

But rolling fields and a lake is not what I would expect to see on the main page
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just giving this a bump in case Dave is around. We didn't talk about this when we met in Worcester
    Quinno did mention it to me in Worcester and I agree it needs doing - it is on my list. I might even get round to letting you know when I implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    A vitriolic "totally agree" from me.
    Nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I agree it needs doing - it is on my list. I might even get round to letting you know when I implement it.
    I'm sure we'll figure it out...
    Come On You Hatters!

We had this feature before, and I was one of those who had the authority to "suppress" - not delete - photos from appearing on the front page, and would be happy to take it on again if it's reinstated. The plug was pulled on the provision because one or two of us - myself included - were regarded as a little over enthusiastic as to what photos we supressed. We were applying the sort of judgements that Sheffield Hatter is asking for now, whereas what was actually required (as I understand it) was that the photos to be supressed should be limited to where pub name changes had occurred. In the debate at the time I put forward the view that it was entirely appropriate to suppress from the front page photos that are not really representative of the pub - my main bugbear being photographs of pubs you can't even see because they're covered in scaffolding and plastic sheeting and where you have to take on trust that there's a pub underneath it.

So, I agree entirely with SH and ROB on this one. If more than the current "photo approvers" would be helpful, then I for one would be happy to take it on again.

I'll stay on me own

It always used to be the case that if a pub was renamed then photo's showing the pub with the old name were removed from the main page as a matter of course. This was back when it was just Dave & Conrad doing it, but it seemed logical.

The downside of that though was that you might then end up without a photo on the main page. Is it better to have an old photo than none at all? And not only that, but if viewing a list of pubs it would still have the photo icon next to it, even though there wasn't one (on the main page).