Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost East End Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This is now the The Urban Bar
    It looks hideous.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Al found this on the Rose and Crown http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/e...rosecrown.html
    Al10000 just discovered that this pub IS on pubsgalore but under a previous name The Cambridge .There is still a plaque on the wall bearing this name,and the post office website does list 13 Mare Street as being the address of The Cambridge,even though the pub is closed .It seems that the old name lives on ,and that is how it has been listed here.It is unreviewed ,so a historic note from you may well be worthwhile.Hope this helps.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Al10000 just discovered that this pub IS on pubsgalore but under a previous name The Cambridge .There is still a plaque on the wall bearing this name,and the post office website does list 13 Mare Street as being the address of The Cambridge,even though the pub is closed .It seems that the old name lives on ,and that is how it has been listed here.It is unreviewed ,so a historic note from you may well be worthwhile.Hope this helps.
    It's not a previous name in my recollection.
    It was renamed the Cambridge in 1998. There were a group of Young's pubs in East London that they leased from Whitbread at some point prior to the mid 1970s. This was one of them and I assume it became the Cambridge when the lease expired. I only knew it as the Rose and Crown (from the mid 1970s).

Apparently Enterprise got their oar in before it closed (which probably explains it).

I heard a story that Young's swapped the Prince(ss) of Wales from Whitbread for the Black Horse at Gomshall. The last time I passed by the Black Horse it was a glorified Fish and Chip shop! It is now closed, good work Whitbread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's not a previous name in my recollection.
    It was renamed the Cambridge in 1998. There were a group of Young's pubs in East London that they leased from Whitbread at some point prior to the mid 1970s. This was one of them and I assume it became the Cambridge when the lease expired. I only knew it as the Rose and Crown (from the mid 1970s).

Apparently Enterprise got their oar in before it closed (which probably explains it).

Thanks for providing the correct history of the pub,I guess Al must have visited while it was The Rose and Crown.

I heard a story that Young's swapped the Prince(ss) of Wales from Whitbread for the Black Horse at Gomshall. The last time I passed by the Black Horse it was a glorified Fish and Chip shop! It is now closed, good work Whitbread!!
    Thanks for providing the correct history of this pub,I guess Al visited while it was the Rose and Crown.

I'll stay on me own

Thanks for that BF,that is the pub we went in,i have got the photo of it in front of me which i took in 1987,i also noticed that you have taken a photo of it,on my photo which i took almost opposite the pub it had a free standing pub sign that was next to a bus stop,is the sign still there!

Regarding Youngs East London pubs,i have a small guide from about 1984 which lists all 149 Youngs houses

Here are the one with E post codes

Coburn Arms: 8 coburn road, Bow E3
    Prince of Wales:146 lea bridge road,Hackney E5
    Rose and Crown:13 mare street,Hackney E8
    Royal standard:161-165 Kingsland road,Hackney E2
    Tiger:245 wick road,Hommerton E9
    Queens Head:8 flamborough street,Stepney E14
    Britannia:1 church road,Barking

I will add a short review and hopefully add my photo of it when it was up and running at some point in the future.

Thanks for looking into this,Cheers Alan
    Last edited by Al 10000; 21-08-2013 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Thanks for that BF,that is the pub we went in,i have got the photo of it in front of me which i took in 1987,i also noticed that you have taken a photo of it,on my photo which i took almost opposite the pub it had a free standing pub sign that was next to a bus stop,is the sign still there!

Regarding Youngs East London pubs,i have a small guide from about 1984 which lists all 149 Youngs houses

Here are the one with E post codes

Coburn Arms: 8 coburn road, Bow E3
    Prince of Wales:146 lea bridge road,Hackney E5
    Rose and Crown:13 mare street,Hackney E8
    Royal standard:161-165 Kingsland road,Hackney E2
    Tiger:245 wick road,Hommerton E9
    Queens Head:8 flamborough street,Stepney E14
    Britannia:1 church road,Barking

I will add a short review and hopefully add my photo of it when it was up and running at some point in the future.

Thanks for looking into this,Cheers Alan
    The free standing pub sign has gone.I was on Mare Street yesterday and took a photo but nothing much has changed since the previous photo .