Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pubs Doing CAMRA Discount.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Thanks for the update. Do you know what the cooling system is that they use? I remember the cooling jackets that CAMRA used at the GBBF back in the 90's (I gave up going there when they stopped doing Lee's Moonraker after the Madchester Winter one started). In my opinion those jackets weren't satisfactory in hot weather, which it always was as Olympia was a giant greenhouse.
    The system they use is like a metal u shaped kettle element that screws into the spile hole.It is all connected to a plastic hose .Then ice cold water circulates through the system and into a cooler.They condition the beer in the cellar then bring it up last thing at night to let it settle overnight. But with no hard or soft spiles used I am sure this will affect the condition of the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The system they use is like a metal u shaped kettle element that screws into the spile hole.It is all connected to a plastic hose .Then ice cold water circulates through the system and into a cooler.They condition the beer in the cellar then bring it up last thing at night to let it settle overnight. But with no hard or soft spiles used I am sure this will affect the condition of the beer.
    I think I heard of this one years ago. You can get a similar thing (reversed) for keeping home brew fermenting in the winter which I once tried and it didn't really work.

I wonder how they get the beer up to the stillage overnight without ruining it. It reminds of a comment I used to make in the Leyton Drum when given a cloudy pint. "Did you pick the barrel up and shake it to see how much was left?".

11 different casks on gravity is just silly unless they are served out of a cooled cellar. I remember a pub years ago called the Wicked Lady at Nomansland Common in Herts that had this very arrangement. A room of the pub had been converted into a cellar with a serving hatch and they had two rows of gravity beers and ciders. I only went there once and it was brilliant!

This Space For Hire

The Taproom Islington has 8 stillaged beers behind the bar in a chilled cabinet .No probs with the temp or condition on my 2 visits.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Taproom Islington has 8 stillaged beers behind the bar in a chilled cabinet .No probs with the temp or condition on my 2 visits.
    Fair enough, that sounds like a mini version of what the Wicked Lady used to do. The big question is why the Bree Louise can't come up with something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This seems to be becoming a more common thing.
    The only one in my area that I KNOW does it is the Bell on Forest Road.
    I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.
    Would this kind of thing help? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-feat...amra-discount/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    That's perfect!! Would it be possible to expand the list by posting details on here?

I have these :-

The Bell,617 Forest Road,E17,E17 4NE
    The Bree Louise,69 Cobourg Street,NW1,NW1 2HH
    The Wenlock Arms,26 Wenlock Road,N1,N1 7TA
    The Doric Arch,1 Eversholt Street,NW1,NW1 2DN
    The White Hart Hotel,London Road,Hook,RG27 9DZ
    The Queens Head,54 Windsor Street,Uxbridge,UB08 1AB
    The Forester,2 Leighton Road,W13,W13 9EP
    The Vine,121 Hillingdon Hill,Hillingdon,UB10 0JQ

Well rather than me adding them to the list I have created a way for members to do it.

If you visit The Bell for example and scroll to near the bottom of the page there are some new buttons that can be clicked - one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.

Once you click that it will automatically be added to the list.

Well rather than me adding them to the list I have created a way for members to do it.

If you visit The Bell for example and scroll to near the bottom of the page there are some new buttons that can be clicked - one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.

Once you click that it will automatically be added to the list.

It gets better and better!!

Also for anyone planning on adding details for several pubs in a given town then you can go to your choice of postal town rather than look at every pub page.

So take Reading for example, go to that page and you will see on the right hand side in the section on the right hand side (where your logout button is) and there will be a button for 'Pub Facilities'. When you click that they page may take a while to load as there is a lot on it!

If you don't have access to any of these features but would like it then let me know and I'll set it up for you.

- one of which will show that the pub does a CAMRA discount.
    Looks as if I'll rejoin when I'm eligible for the geriatric discount!(Next year...)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.