Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Doing CAMRA Discount.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I never understood why that pub went down the gravity dispense route. Unless the beer is served from a chilled area it's never going to work. Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler. It was always a pub (the Watney Jolly Gardeners) so it must surely have an adequate cellar.

Would that be 10% discount at the Doric Arch?
    They claim six beers on the handle plus another 11 on gravity, which is about eight too many. In any case as they have no cooling system in the gravity bit they haven't a chance in this weather. I'm surprised they opened when we were there the other day, a lot of people were resorting to bottles or leaving fairly quickly.

It's 15% off in the Doric.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 15-07-2013 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This seems to be becoming a more common thing.
    The only one in my area that I KNOW does it is the Bell on Forest Road.
    I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.
    Per chance I decided on a local bike ride today to a couple of pubs to make use of having a week off and went to a pub only about 3.5 miles from my doorstep that I hadn't been in since the mid-90's, (a review will appear soon), The White Hart Hotel.This offers 20p off a pint for card carrying members or 10p off for a half,the price of a half of 4.8% beer was £1.65, not to bad for around here.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    They claim six beers on the handle plus another 11 on gravity, which is about eight too many. In any case as they have no cooling system in the gravity bit they haven't a chance in this weather. I'm surprised they opened when we were there the other day, a lot of people were resorting to bottles or leaving fairly quickly.
    They are bloody-minded fools giving real ale a bad name!!!

Most people I know round here have given up on them.
    Last edited by Quinno; 15-07-2013 at 19:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Per chance I decided on a local bike ride today to a couple of pubs to make use of having a week off and went to a pub only about 3.5 miles from my doorstep that I hadn't been in since the mid-90's, (a review will appear soon), The White Hart Hotel.This offers 20p off a pint for card carrying members or 10p off for a half,the price of a half of 4.8% beer was £1.65, not to bad for around here.

Thanks for that one, it seems that sort of figure is typical oop north where the prices are cheaper, but every little helps as someone said trying to sell me something I didn't want.

This Space For Hire

The Bree Louise and its other pub the Duchess of Cornwall give 50 p a pint discount. The Brewharf in Borough give !0% discount so 40p.

This Space For Hire

The Bree Louise has a cooling system which works quite well but the beer is always in poor condition.TIP-the beer is on Autotilts so if the barrel is quite level it should be new on .If the barrel is sloped BEWARE.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Bree Louise has a cooling system which works quite well but the beer is always in poor condition.TIP-the beer is on Autotilts so if the barrel is quite level it should be new on .If the barrel is sloped BEWARE.
    Actually BEWARE OF THE STILLAGE BEER IS A MORE SENSIBLE IDEA.

This Space For Hire

Oops sorry quinno.

Thanks for the update. Do you know what the cooling system is that they use? I remember the cooling jackets that CAMRA used at the GBBF back in the 90's (I gave up going there when they stopped doing Lee's Moonraker after the Madchester Winter one started). In my opinion those jackets weren't satisfactory in hot weather, which it always was as Olympia was a giant greenhouse.

Oops sorry quinno.
    Accepted