Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Doing CAMRA Discount.

Default Pubs Doing CAMRA Discount.

This seems to be becoming a more common thing.
    The only one in my area that I KNOW does it is the Bell on Forest Road.
    I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This seems to be becoming a more common thing.
    The only one in my area that I KNOW does it is the Bell on Forest Road.
    I checked CAMRA.ORG and there is an online form there that pubs can use after which they will be sent promotional material. As there is no indication of the discount at all in the Bell, I assume they don't have the promotional material. CAMRA.ORG claim that a database is being set up and will be available soon. I do know a bit about this sort of thing and setting up an indexed list of names and addresses is probably one of the easiest possible things to do. As it's CAMRA I'll give them two years to get it up and running.

I was talking to someone last night who told me that the new Crooked Billet in E5 would be doing discount along with a list of others, but I didnt have a pen and I was too addled to remember them all!

What I do recall was that two of the three local Antic Pubs were going to do it and astonishingly the Golden Grove Spoons down in E15, which is the only East London Spoons outside of the City area that I haven't actually been to in the last few years. If I go there I won't take the CAMRA tickets as using both would not be allowed.

I gather the new Wenlock does the discount so at the moment there are just two that I know definitely do it.

If people can post the pubs that they know DEFINITELY do a CAMRA discount then I can create a database that I can post summaries onto this thread in a similar fashion to the GB & U IPAs thread.
    The Bree Louise does a CAMRA discount,I did hear a while back this pub was up for closure at some point, I don't know how true this is, Its not a pub I would go out of my way to visit nowdays, the beer quality has not been great on my last two visits although that's now over two years ago.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

There are 45 in the Derby CAMRA branch area alone.

See pages 8 & 20 of http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-drinker/

That will give you something to do.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

These http://www.camra.org.uk/discountscheme are the details about the CAMRA version.

As well as all English, Welsh and Northern Ireland Wetherspoons, Castle Rock pubs take the JDW vouchers. Some Nicholsons pubs offer a discount, certainly Harkers and the Cross Keys in York do. Still in York, the Windmill does a 10% discount (spookily enough it's opposite a 'Spoons). The Alexandra in Harrogate offers 20p off but not all the staff know about it. On a related subject the Sheeshmahal curry house in Bradford offers a 10% discount.

A good source of this info are CAMRA branch magazines, I'll go through the recent pile I have collected and post a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The Bree Louise does a CAMRA discount,I did hear a while back this pub was up for closure at some point, I don't know how true this is, Its not a pub I would go out of my way to visit nowdays, the beer quality has not been great on my last two visits although that's now over two years ago.
    That would be because of the HS2 which as I understand it will flatten a whole area around (I imagine) the North and West side of Euston. Euston Underground station is already stretched to breaking point, so I assume that they will have to rebuild that as well.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    We were in there the other day, but not for long. Something had gone wrong with the cellar meaning no handpumped beer nor lager. As it was about 30°C the stuff on stillage was more akin to brown windsor soup. We repaired to the Doric Arch, which as usual had an excellent range of beers. Anyway to get round to the topic under discussion, it also does a Camra discount; you have to fill in a form and they give you a card though just saying "I've got a card" usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    These http://www.camra.org.uk/discountscheme are the details about the CAMRA version.

As well as all English, Welsh and Northern Ireland Wetherspoons, Castle Rock pubs take the JDW vouchers. Some Nicholsons pubs offer a discount, certainly Harkers and the Cross Keys in York do. Still in York, the Windmill does a 10% discount (spookily enough it's opposite a 'Spoons). The Alexandra in Harrogate offers 20p off but not all the staff know about it. On a related subject the Sheeshmahal curry house in Bradford offers a 10% discount.

A good source of this info are CAMRA branch magazines, I'll go through the recent pile I have collected and post a list.
    Thanks for that, I'm not including the Spoons vouchers as that is all fairly obvious and there is little point in listing them all (plus the Catle Rock ones!).

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    There are 45 in the Derby CAMRA branch area alone.

See pages 8 & 20 of http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-drinker/

That will give you something to do.
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    We were in there the other day, but not for long. Something had gone wrong with the cellar meaning no handpumped beer nor lager. As it was about 30°C the stuff on stillage was more akin to brown windsor soup. We repaired to the Doric Arch, which as usual had an excellent range of beers. Anyway to get round to the topic under discussion, it also does a Camra discount; you have to fill in a form and they give you a card though just saying "I've got a card" usually does the trick.
    I never understood why that pub went down the gravity dispense route. Unless the beer is served from a chilled area it's never going to work. Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler. It was always a pub (the Watney Jolly Gardeners) so it must surely have an adequate cellar.

Would that be 10% discount at the Doric Arch?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Gravity beer needs a quicker throughput as a handpulled beer losing condition can be livened up with a sparkler.
    A flat beer is a flat beer whether it has a head on it or not??