Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Autumn/Winter meet up Leeds 22/11/2013

Just did search for the nearest available Friday selection on National Rail and I can't find any reasonable trains for less than £100 so unless Trainman can guide me to some cheapness, I may not be able to make it.

The coach option is almost 5 hours from London!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Just did search for the nearest available Friday selection on National Rail and I can't find any reasonable trains for less than £100 so unless Trainman can guide me to some cheapness, I may not be able to make it.
    The cheaper fares won't kick in until nearer the time Quinno; for instance two singles are currently available for, say, 30Aug at £22.60 out and £14.60 back...
    I also considered trying for a £1e/w megatrain to Sheffield then £10.50rtn from there to Leeds; it would add 40-60mins to the journey, but that would be a mightily attractive price...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The cheaper fares won't kick in until nearer the time Quinno; for instance two singles are currently available for, say, 30Aug at £22.60 out and £14.60 back...
    I also considered trying for a £1e/w megatrain to Sheffield then £10.50rtn from there to Leeds; it would add 40-60mins to the journey, but that would be a mightily attractive price...
    Given that we'd be heading from roughly the same direction, keep me in the loop on your thought process!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Given that we'd be heading from roughly the same direction, keep me in the loop on your thought process!
    I will certainly need some pointers nearer the time.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'm fairly confident that I can make this one. Having the route already sketched out is particularly handy for me, as I'll be up in Leeds in early October for the football and now I can pick out a few of the wild-cards for that visit and leave the main crawl for the PuG meet-up. Thanks to everyone involved in putting the route together - looks like thirsty work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Thanks to everyone involved in putting the route together - looks like thirsty work.
    It was, thanks are especially due to Sheffield Hatter for adding the timings and writing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Please see attached photos of the above mentioned naked mud wrestling session. We couldn't find any naked mud, so we just debated calmly and wrote some notes. (From left to right: Ale & Hearty, Sheffield Hatter and Old Boots, in The Fleece in Otley.) Full results of our deliberations to follow, but suffice to say that both Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar and The Grove Inn have made it onto the final team sheet.
    Triplets????????????????
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Triplets????????????????
    In the Schwarzenegger / DeVito stylee, maybe.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    OK, please see attached document for the committee's democratically agreed pub crawl route for Friday, 22nd November. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but we agreed that there were eight or nine "must visit" pubs, with the Scarbrough Hotel an appropriate meeting point (so that the steep steps to reach it are taken when still sober ) and the Brewery Tap equally appropriate for a quick sprint to the station for trains home. Other pubs mentioned as being "on the way" or "nearby" are jokers or wild cards that people can pick and choose from.

I wanted to include the Garden Gate as a "must visit", others felt that not everyone would want to do the bus trip. (It's a similar trip to the bus ride to/from Caversham on the Reading meet up.) So there is an option to give that one a miss and pick up a couple of the wild cards on the way to a rendezvous with the rest of the group later on.

Any comments as to "essential" pubs that we've missed out will be carefully considered by the committee before being rejected out of hand. We felt that if people want to do more than the pubs listed here, they will probably need a second day anyway!
    Nice of you choose that weekend folks. I'm on a Black Country bus tour the following day so it would be rude not to make a weekend of it............... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    Nice of you choose that weekend folks. I'm on a Black Country bus tour the following day so it would be rude not to make a weekend of it............... !!!
    And getting the Hilton for £45 is an absolute winner too !!!