Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Mar 2010)

I was at AFC Hornchurch a few years ago where the bar just had usual keg stuff. They did have a couple of bottled beers behind the bar but I couldn't quite see what they were or what size the bottles were (I didn't want to get palmed off with some £3 330ml bottle of lager). She told me they had Spitfire and Cornish Knocker but didn't know how big the bottles were and did I want to look at the bottles for myself. In the best Carry On traditions I told her to forget the Spitfire but show me her Knockers! Luckily she thought it was funny.

Well having voted for Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons last week, this week got off to a good start with more monkeys.

The Baum had Brass Monkey Silverback on the bar which was OK but when that went, on came Golden Monkey from the same brewery which was excellent.

I also had a pint of Copper Dragon Freddie Truman which was also pretty good.

So Golden Monkey so far for me, who knows it might even win as we've no beer festivals etc planned for this weekend!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This week I'm like a pig in muck, Sneck Lifter, Ein Stein, Cottages' Swordfish, Bath Dark Hare and a couple of top-notch pints of Directors. By 'eck, this is gonna be hard, I'm supposed to be trying out the Milk Brewery stuff tomorrow. Oh Lucky Jim..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Had a quite week , Three Tuns XXX , Bazens Ides , Pictish Nugget , Salamander Puppet Master and this weeks winner Kelham Island Captain IPA , dangoursly drinkable at 6%
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Had a quite week , Three Tuns XXX , Bazens Ides , Pictish Nugget , Salamander Puppet Master and this weeks winner Kelham Island Captain IPA , dangoursly drinkable at 6%
    Still 2 more days Oggwyn, should I take that as your official standing?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Still 2 more days Oggwyn, should I take that as your official standing?
    Yes , no more pub visits this week , taking my Mom for a curry tonight so will probally have a few bottles of fizzy lager and no pub on Sunday either .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Bit of a result in the Bricklayers Arms in Putney yesterday - they had the last remnants of a beer festival - there were still about 20 part barrels left and they were knocking everything out for £1 a pint. Aleandhearty will be delighted to learn that there were quite a few Yorkshire beers up for grabs - Ossett, Tigertops, Clarks, Brew Co, Glentworth, Richmond and Abbeydale were all well represented. Was tempted to sell my match ticket and stay there. Stick yet to pick a BotW though - still 14 and a half hours to go.
    Last edited by RogerB; 07-03-2010 at 10:17.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Bit of a result in the Bricklayers Arms in Putney yesterday - they had the last remnants of a beer festival - there were still about 20 part barrels left and they were knocking everything out for £1 a pint. Aleandhearty will be delighted to learn that there were quite a few Yorkshire beers up for grabs - Ossett, Tigertops, Clarks, Brew Co, Glentworth, Richmond and Abbeydale were all well represented. Was tempted to sell my match ticket and stay there.
    Roger, there would be 'quite a few Yorkshire beers up for grabs' as they were left over from the Yorkshire Beer Festival last weekend! Seems to be an annual event, on the last w/e in Feb. I've tried to make it the last couple of years, but something always seems to turn up. Maybe third time lucky next year. Bet you wished you'd sold your ticket after the snorefest of a game.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I'm not usually a mild drinker, but the Surrey Hills Hammer Mild in The Boaters, Kingston yesterday was spot on. Good malty flavour and body, and at 3.8%, more robust than the weaker milds that deter me normally.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Roger, there would be 'quite a few Yorkshire beers up for grabs' as they were left over from the Yorkshire Beer Festival last weekend! Seems to be an annual event, on the last w/e in Feb. I've tried to make it the last couple of years, but something always seems to turn up. Maybe third time lucky next year. Bet you wished you'd sold your ticket after the snorefest of a game.
    That could explain things - I thought the selection was a bit Yorkshire orientated. I must also keep an eye out for it next year if it's an annual thing - I think the Yorkshire beers are beginning to take over from Cornish as my favourites and there a few breweries I hadn't come across before (Tigertops for a start which I note is also Wakefieldish!). The only problem yesterday was that they were all on the cold side having sat in the garden for the best part of a week and it wasn't particularly warm yesterday either. For that reason (and it was plastic glasses yesterday because of the football) I'm not sure they will make BotW but I'm hard pushed for a clear winner at the moment. For £1 a pint, I'm not going exactly going to complain too loudly.