Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Mar 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Mar 2010)

Hopefully I will actually have a beer this week.

Oggwyn Trench: Kelham Island Captain IPA
    runningdog: Bath Dark Hare
    oldboots: Phoenix Massacre
    Millay: Lodden Brewery Hoppit
    Wittenden: Elgoods Cambridge Bitter
    aleandhearty: Great Heck's 'Dave'
    RogerB: Salopian Prohibition
    trainman: Bishops Farewell / Darkstar Golden Gate
    Hopwas: E.S.B
    pubsignman: Brains Dark
    ROBCamra: Golden Monkey
    Dave M: Wychwood Circlemaster

I'll start the ball rolling...

As I've been in Kent a few times recently, I've been drinking quite a bit of Shepherd and Neame Late Red over the last few days, a beer I hadn't seen before. It was their Autumn seasonal beer, I am led to believe, but has now been marketed as a regular brew. At its best it has had a rounded golden flavour, not as hoppy as I would normally like but very pleasant and a great addition to their regular line-up. ( I heard a rumour that it might replace Spitfire, but don't know how true that is). So that's my nomination. Anyone know more about the rumours?

Late Red has always been my favourite Sheps beer but I have never known it to still be available this far beyond its regular Autumn appearances. The web site lists it under regular beers as opposed to seasonal beers although it is still badged as an "Autumn Hop Ale". At 4.5% it is the same strength as Spitfire was before it was reduced to 4.2% last year so in a way it is a replacement. Spitfire has become Sheps best known ale so I doubt it is under any threat but I could see the reduced strength Spitfire easing out the similar strength but more mundane Kents Best.

Thanks Roger. It's still available in most of the Sheps pubs around Romney Marsh, much to my pleasing.

I know what you mean about Kent's Best - strangely, it isn't. The pint I had in the Crown and Cushion (admittedly not in Kent, though) was OK but not brilliant. I also think what you say abotu spitfire makes sense - why lose a well known name when you could just drop the lesser known, weaker (in taste terms rather than ABV) beer?

So Late Red has become a 'regular'? - interesting. I look forward to hopefully supping it more frequently then, as it is a favourite of mine. I wonder what the brewery will come up with as their autumnal replacement? It's just a pity that my local Sheps pubs only seem to stock Spitfire or Masterbrew.

As far as Kent's Best is concerned: its a distinctly average brew, in my opinion - acceptable, yet slightly flavourless.

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    I wonder what the brewery will come up with as their autumnal replacement?
    There's a seasonal called Golden Harvest that I have never comes across - seems like the obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    So Late Red has become a 'regular'? - interesting. I look forward to hopefully supping it more frequently then, as it is a favourite of mine. I wonder what the brewery will come up with as their autumnal replacement? It's just a pity that my local Sheps pubs only seem to stock Spitfire or Masterbrew.

As far as Kent's Best is concerned: its a distinctly average brew, in my opinion - acceptable, yet slightly flavourless.
    I could never see the point in Kents Best, which appeared to be designed to fill a gap in the market which didn't actually exist!

However, I agree that Late Red is a good one and it certainly seems to have remained in circulation all through this winter.

I can't see Sheps getting rid of Spitfire as they have invested so much in the brand in recent years and must be their best-known beer outside of their own pubs.

Perhaps they'll introduce an extra-hoppy ale as their autumnal replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I know what you mean about Kent's Best. The pint I had in the Crown and Cushion (admittedly not in Kent, though) was OK but not brilliant.
    I've never had a good pint of Kent's Best and that includes trying one at the Cask & Glass one of the best Sheps pubs around.

Personally I think it's just a crap beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Afternoon everyone!

I had Old Specky which all of you will know this famous brand, yesterday in Tweeddale Arms which is rather saiftying pint..

But at the moment BOTW goes to Shardlow's Fools Twist..4.8%.. (every 10p goes to charity ).. Bit like drinking lemon-grass (Thai vegetable) and very hoppy.

Silk Kite has gone down in recent weeks, still selling poor Sporran's Winter Ale (porter)

Hopefully our other JDW, The Bole Bridge will supply better ales as I will be going there tonight before Tamworth's match vs Gateshead.
    Last edited by hopwas; 03-03-2010 at 11:24.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I could never see the point in Kents Best, which appeared to be designed to fill a gap in the market which didn't actually exist!

Perhaps they'll introduce an extra-hoppy ale as their autumnal replacement?
    A bit like Canterbury Jack, then. What happend to that beer anyway? I haven't spotted it of late.

Spring is upon us soon, so it'll be the turn of Early Bird in some of the better Sheps pub. I'm too familiar with it, so am looking forward to giving it another try.