Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Mar 2010)

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Bathams MILD and bitter, Enville Ale and Butty Back, on one relaxed friday evening - that's as good as it gets
    MILD:

As I thunk, it were 'ard. Late additions to the ever longer 'short list' were HSB, Milk Brewerys' Zig Zag stout and something called Grandmother's Weapons Grade Ginger Beer, lethal! In the end I've decided on the Bath Dark Hare. It was in better nick than the Sneck Lifter and somehow the Ginger Beer felt like cheating...........
    It is now time for a Peculiar Beast moment............
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Having found 7th March instead of 7th FEBRUARY ;

A bit of a thin week after the late excess of last week however I had a very fine pint of John Smiths Cask this week although not beer of the week there's no reason why it couldn't be. I also had a yet another loverly beer from Rudgate, a splendid brewer that keeps raising its game - Odins Raven, only 3.8 but balanced and so not a hop monster, refreshing and playful, moreish and tasty but not my BOTW. This week Pheonix, a wonderful Manchester brewery, takes the honours with their "Massacre", deceptively "brown and boring" but with a hoppy aroma, malty body, fruity undertones and a bitter finish. (appologies for the Rate Beer style bullsh..tish comments).....nice

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

After a 7.2% and a 5% over the past two weeks I’m downgrading in strength this week to a 3.5% beer called Hoppit from Loddon Brewery. I found it an excellent session beer and it was in such good condition and so drinkable that I sunk four pints in little over an hour on Saturday afternoon

Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post

However, I agree that Late Red is a good one and it certainly seems to have remained in circulation all through this winter.
    I can't see Sheps getting rid of Spitfire as they have invested so much in the brand in recent years and must be their best-known beer outside of their own pubs.
    I spoke with the brewery about Late Red late last year... It has been so popular in that past that they decided to keep it on in place of their winter seasonal (porter). However the weinter seasonal shoudl have finished last week, and still Late Red is on. Personally I quite like it.

FWIW Spitfire was only supposed to be a one-off for three months - and that was many years ago...

We had a brief forray into the Soke of Peterborough yesterday, in search of either Oakham or Grainstore ales. Unfortunately neither were to be found.My beer of the week is likely to be Elgoods Cambridge Bitter: pleasant, but not the palate cleansing draught that I remember from years back.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A very narrow choice this week, only had four pints in the last seven days. The best of the four was Great Heck's 'Dave'. The brewery puff has it as a 'dark, velvety bitter', but brewed with chocolate and crystal malts it tasted more like a mild to me. Nice though.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

After a huge chunk of Yorkshire beers yesterday and a decent 3 darky's in our regular darky strong beer pub tonight, the Paper Moon in freezy Dartford has usurped them all with a late winner tonight - Salopian Prohibition 4.6% - when I recommend it to Mrs B and she endorses the stuff, I know it's a winner.
    Last edited by RogerB; 08-03-2010 at 09:11. Reason: too drunk at the time to spell correctly

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ... very fine pint of John Smiths Cask
    Christ 'ob', have you a fever? Are you hallucinating man? Surely an oxymoron. However, don't take my word for it. I rather like this review from 'nick' on www.qualityales.com (where JS is No1 in the Worst Beers table):

"Simply dreadful. Over 1 million pints of,this, astringent, nasty, gaseous, harsh, tart, putrid, malodourous, offensive, mephitic s**t are sold each day in the UK. With over £20 million pounds spent on advertising each year it only goes to show how gullible the general public are. I know it's a close run thing between Tetley's cask and this but I would have to be tortured before I drank this. The bosses at Scottish Courage should be ashamed of themselves! There is more to life than making money and if it were in my power I would close this brewery tommorow. Nobody in ther right mind should touch this, I have tasted better ditch water."

Not only did it make me laugh out loud, I learnt a new word in 'mephitic'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Peterborough yesterday, in search of Oakham...neither were to be found
    You must've missed Charters Bar & The Brewery Tap Wittenden - they both have four or five Oakhams as regulars. Since I can't remember much about Reading on Sat, I again have to give this week's gong to Bishops Farewell.

or maybe Darkstar Golden Gate. Let's call it a draw.
    Last edited by trainman; 08-03-2010 at 06:11.