Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: An East London Perambulation

  1. #1
    In Search of Ebriety Millay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.
    Posts
    1,368

    Default An East London Perambulation

    Hereís a link to a London pub crawl I did yesterday afternoon with a few mates. Donít take any notice of the route on the map, no sane person would take that route.

    An East London Perambulation

  2. #2
    Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nearer than you think
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    The last crawl of this type i undertook started in Wellington (the Plough) then moved to Shrewsbury (Salopian, Shrewsbury Hotel , Montgemerys Tower , Loggerheads , Yorkshire House , Hole in the Wall (why?)3 Fishes) and ended up in Oakengates (Station , Crown) 15 pints of real ale , 1 pint of crap Guiness and several Tequilas woke up next morning with a bad head and dodgy tummy (had a kebab , so i was told) mate had 2 broken knuckles after trying to get off train at Wellington and door wouldnt open so he tried to punch his way out Another one coming soon
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

  3. #3
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Fantastic use of the Pub Crawl tool, it is really nice to see it coming into its own.

  4. #4
    The Beerhunter. RogerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dartford, Kentshire near Londinium.
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Here’s a link to a London pub crawl I did yesterday afternoon with a few mates. Don’t take any notice of the route on the map, no sane person would take that route.
    An East London Perambulation
    I have to say I think you could have found some better pubs with a bit more pre-crawl research and missing the Pride of Spitalfields was criminal!! Good to see the Still & Star in good form though - I haven't been there for years and it was always standard ales on my visits. Makes me want to have a quick trape around the area again myself.

  5. #5
    In Search of Ebriety Millay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have to say I think you could have found some better pubs with a bit more pre-crawl research and missing the Pride of Spitalfields was criminal!!
    I know Roger, and had it been me doing the planning we would have done. As we came out of the Ten Bells I was saying that we should seek out the Pride of Spitalfields but the advance party strode off up Commercial Road and the next thing I know we are heading into a bleeding bar/restaurant thing

    Still, I did manage to convert a couple of usually FP drinkers to ale for the day. Plus I found a couple of new pubs as that's not an area I know well. Might do a bit more exploring around there, if this weather ever improves.
    Last edited by Millay; 28-02-2010 at 09:40.

  6. #6
    Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    As we came out of the Ten Bells I was saying that we should seek out the Pride of Spitalfields
    I was in both of these places last Thursday.
    You missed the better place...

  7. #7
    In Search of Ebriety Millay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Badger View Post
    I was in both of these places last Thursday.
    You missed the better place...
    Was that on your Jack the Ripper tour MB, how did you get on? I was expecting an update in your 'Whitechapel, Liverpool Street' thread.

  8. #8
    Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Was that on your Jack the Ripper tour MB, how did you get on? I was expecting an update in your 'Whitechapel, Liverpool Street' thread.
    The tour was... not what I was expecting.
    Pub-wise we found the Pride of Spitalfields and the Dispensary to be good, and the Ten Bells to be awful. And a lot of places that we didn't bother with, but we weren't really on a pub mission.
    For the "Jack the Ripper" side of our trip, I was disappointed. Over the years pretty much the entire area has been bulldozed and rebuilt. And I would have expected the local council, or English Heritage or somebody to have put up some plaques in the area at sies of the murders. I have gone into more detail at mankybadger.blogspot.com if anyone finds themselves with a few spare minutes...

  9. #9
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Badger View Post
    The tour was... not what I was expecting.
    Pub-wise we found the Pride of Spitalfields and the Dispensary to be good, and the Ten Bells to be awful. And a lot of places that we didn't bother with, but we weren't really on a pub mission.
    For the "Jack the Ripper" side of our trip, I was disappointed. Over the years pretty much the entire area has been bulldozed and rebuilt. And I would have expected the local council, or English Heritage or somebody to have put up some plaques in the area at sies of the murders. I have gone into more detail at mankybadger.blogspot.com if anyone finds themselves with a few spare minutes...
    Just to be an ass, this takes you directly to the post on the: Jack the Ripper crawl. I read it on the day and almost posted it into this thread, but am never quite comfortable with promoting other blogs in case that isn't what they want.

    Been quite enjoying your blog, although it sounds like you have been a mixture of masochist and in the wars this week, hope the back pain is under control!

  10. #10
    Spritzer Swallower Manky Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just to be an ass, this takes you directly to the post on the: Jack the Ripper crawl. I read it on the day and almost posted it into this thread, but am never quite comfortable with promoting other blogs in case that isn't what they want.
    Feel free to post away
    Last edited by Manky Badger; 28-02-2010 at 19:20. Reason: wrong smiley

Similar Threads

  1. East Lothian Edits.
    By dasusara in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-02-2010, 12:23
  2. Three in East Yorkshire to be added.
    By aleandhearty in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-02-2010, 17:16
  3. Star at East Tytherley
    By oldboots in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 15:29
  4. FAO Anyone have visited North East Birmingham
    By hopwas in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 11:03
  5. East Molesey Pub
    By Arthurish in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-02-2007, 16:28

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •