Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Leyton ,Hacney and beyond.

Default Leyton ,Hacney and beyond.

A brief summary of my days pubbing,
    The Harp My regular starting place on a visit to London and reliable as ever, a reasonable pint of Tiny Rebel Billabong.
    King William 1V a good pub ,a bit far out for us southern types so next time will plan to stay for a couple of hours instead of the one pint of Brodies Shorditch Sunshine, which was a nice pint.
    The Drum ,Not really impressed and hasnt converted me in any shape or form into an appreciator of Wetherspoons although I have been in a lot worse,the London Fields Black Path Porter was ok but near the end of its lifespan I thought.Not somewhere I am likely to return to.
    The Pembury Tavern A bit of a letdown on my second visit,beer average and no atmosphere about the place.
    The Cock TavernFirst visit and not the last, a great discovery, the howling hops beers are all very interesting and the ones I tasted very good .
    The Dove Freehouse To rammed with people to enjoy this time and ended up sitting at a table in the restaurant section, but still worth visiting,
    The Wenlock Arms Alive and well ,some excellent beer including Portabello Market Porter and Franklins Grumpy Governor in very good form.
    And finally The Old Fountain with probably the best beer of the day Oakham Citra ,an excellent pint.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A brief summary of my days pubbing,
    The Harp My regular starting place on a visit to London and reliable as ever, a reasonable pint of Tiny Rebel Billabong.
    King William 1V a good pub ,a bit far out for us southern types so next time will plan to stay for a couple of hours instead of the one pint of Brodies Shorditch Sunshine, which was a nice pint.
    The Drum ,Not really impressed and hasnt converted me in any shape or form into an appreciator of Wetherspoons although I have been in a lot worse,the London Fields Black Path Porter was ok but near the end of its lifespan I thought.Not somewhere I am likely to return to.
    The Pembury Tavern A bit of a letdown on my second visit,beer average and no atmosphere about the place.
    The Cock TavernFirst visit and not the last, a great discovery, the howling hops beers are all very interesting and the ones I tasted very good .
    The Dove Freehouse To rammed with people to enjoy this time and ended up sitting at a table in the restaurant section, but still worth visiting,
    The Wenlock Arms Alive and well ,some excellent beer including Portabello Market Porter and Franklins Grumpy Governor in very good form.
    And finally The Old Fountain with probably the best beer of the day Oakham Citra ,an excellent pint.
    I ended up in the Drum and William IV last night. The Drum currently has a temporary manager so the beer choice is a bit below par but the beer quality has seemed OK. The Cock Tavern in Hackney is really outstanding in my opinion. I much prefer it to the gimicky Antic pubs and to the Southampton.

You may have missed a trick in the William. The 12.1% Romanov Stout and 10.1% citra for Breakfast were two of the keykeg options last night. A pint of each of them early in your day could have given you a completely different experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I ended up in the Drum and William IV last night. The Drum currently has a temporary manager so the beer choice is a bit below par but the beer quality has seemed OK. The Cock Tavern in Hackney is really outstanding in my opinion. I much prefer it to the gimicky Antic pubs and to the Southampton.

You may have missed a trick in the William. The 12.1% Romanov Stout and 10.1% citra for Breakfast were two of the keykeg options last night. A pint of each of them early in your day could have given you a completely different experience!!
    I did spot the Citra for breakfast and was tempted, but had I taken the route you suggested, my experience would probably be a forgettable one I would six sheet's to the wind before I got anywhere near to Hackney.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields