Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatpub heads-up

Default Whatpub heads-up

Whatpub.com, CAMRA’s online pubs database, launches in September to the general public according to the latest timeline.

As discussed elsewhere, it’s only as good as the local branches. So in Reading () there is 100% coverage with pictures and most basic data on display whereas in large swathes of Wales there is, basically, bugger all. It’s a live and dynamic site that accepts suggested updates though again, these must be actioned by the local branch. How many of them remain engaged with the project beyond getting their data ready for launch is unclear.

There was a lot of talk about having comments (“CAMRA’s beerintheevening” as was said at the time) but that seems to have gone rather quiet and I’m wondering whether they’ve decided that it simply isn’t worth the effort (who will moderate it?); best just get the basic pub details listed and let the punters choose via the (sometimes wonderfully opaque-yet-loaded description). I guess we’ll find out in due course.

I haven't heard anything about it being open for all and sundry to post what they like - a la BITE. As you say, some CAMRA areas have embraced the concept but others are apparently well behind the game. In my area, South West London, we've been using CAMRAHops for some time, and it is possible to dump all the data, but not photographs, from one to the other. But I also attended a meeting with another branch where their "data" were copies of the local pub guides with copious manuscript amendments, so they have an uphill struggle.

WhatPub is not going to be a competitor for Pubs Galore, but it should (if branches grip the issue) provide a valuable database of pub information.

I wouldn't want to turn this into a CAMRA forum as there are a few of them around, but there's about 10% of branches haven't got the basic details (name, address phone no and if it sells real ale) for 90% of their "listed" pubs onto the system. As Quinno says large parts of south west and north west Wales aren't touched and neither is Northern Ireland. Scotland has basic details for nearly all its "listed" pubs and the big surprise is that London isn't very well covered.

The word "listed" is important as there are only about 34,000 pubs on WhatPub at present, I can't believe for example there are only 69 pubs in the whole of Fife, PuG lists 329. So it's not a challange to this august site. Branches who haven't listed a lot of pubs will have a shock coming as their GBG allocation is going to be linked to the number of real ale pubs on WhatPub.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Branches who haven't listed a lot of pubs will have a shock coming as their GBG allocation is going to be linked to the number of real ale pubs on WhatPub.
    You saw the same memo as me then

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I use WhatPub for my beer scoring, and find it easy to use as such. I don't use it in the same way as I use this site, but find it a decent reference for info. When I have had a query over something, I use the comment, and have always had a reply back, usually from the branch where the pub I have had the query is based. I see no problem with the site, and it doesn't compare with BITE. It is better organised than that site.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

, I can't believe for example there are only 69 pubs in the whole of Fife,
    Whatpub only lists real ale pubs though doesn't it?

Having visited once a few years ago I can easily believe that there are only 69 real ale pubs in the whole of Fife.

There are oly 21 listed in the GBG2013 for the whole county.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 04-06-2013 at 11:27.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Whatpub only lists real ale pubs though doesn't it?
    No, it lists (or should list) all pubs (if uploaded). You can *search* by real ale pubs only.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    No, it lists (or should list) all pubs (if uploaded). You can *search* by real ale pubs only.
    This is what the blurb that I've been sent says. So if it's not just real ale pubs they've not made that very clear have they?

WhatPub now lists over 33,000 pubs serving real ale!

Since CAMRA launched its new pub website ‘WhatPub’ to all members last September we have been working hard to improve the website.

Thousands of volunteers have been visiting pubs, and over 33,000 pubs serving real ale are now listed. The 'WhatPub' website aims to become the best, most comprehensive online pub listing which all pub-lovers can use and enjoy.

While we are listing over 90% of all the pubs in the UK serving real ale we need YOUR help to ensure these listings are as complete and accurate as possible.

We know that we must continue to develop and improve the site and with the help and support of members like you we can make this the best pub website in Britain.

P.S. There are loads of bars in Manchester not on it AND some of them serve real ale.

P.P.S. And I'm not telling them.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 04-06-2013 at 14:38.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The default search is Pubs Only (ie no restaurants or clubs) and Must serve Real Ale, you can change this by unticking boxes under the search terms box. However to use Fife as an example again, they've only uploaded pubs that sell real ale, so they've missed the point or they're trying a fiddle

However to use Fife as an example again, they've only uploaded pubs that sell real ale, so they've missed the point or they're trying a fiddle
    Or read the same blurb as ROBCamra but took it as an instruction