Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oakwell brewery

Just back from a random visit to The Devonshire Cat (set out to go to the The Red Deer but there was folk music being played there ). I'd forgotten that Oakwell Barnsley Bitter is one of their regulars. Bought a pint of the excellent Oxfordshire Marshmellow and spotted the Oakwell pump clip out of the corner of my eye as I left the bar, so had a half of that as well, for old time's sake. It's slightly lighter and less malty than the Acorn Barnsley Bitter which I was told will replace it at the Dev Cat, though as the barman reminded me, both breweries claimed to be following the original recipe.

I can't think of any Oakwell pubs around here, though have often drunk Oakwell Barnsley Bitter at The Red Lion Inn. This is, sorry, was a well balanced brown bitter of the sort that is dying out in the face of the fashion for American and other foreign hops. I have to disagree with Aqualung on this point - Sam Smiths is (in my view) an excellent beer in a similar mould: well balanced, bitter and malty. I know it's unfashionable, but I like a beer that lingers on the palate in a way that doesn't have me reaching for the mouthwash and a good long gargle to get rid of the grapefruit flavours.

On a positive note, it's good to see Oxfordshire beers making it this far north - I had their Finest in Leeds the other day as well as tonight's sighting of Marshmellow in the Dev Cat.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just back from a random visit to The Devonshire Cat (set out to go to the The Red Deer but there was folk music being played there ). I'd forgotten that Oakwell Barnsley Bitter is one of their regulars. Bought a pint of the excellent Oxfordshire Marshmellow and spotted the Oakwell pump clip out of the corner of my eye as I left the bar, so had a half of that as well, for old time's sake. It's slightly lighter and less malty than the Acorn Barnsley Bitter which I was told will replace it at the Dev Cat, though as the barman reminded me, both breweries claimed to be following the original recipe.

I can't think of any Oakwell pubs around here, though have often drunk Oakwell Barnsley Bitter at The Red Lion Inn. This is, sorry, was a well balanced brown bitter of the sort that is dying out in the face of the fashion for American and other foreign hops. I have to disagree with Aqualung on this point - Sam Smiths is (in my view) an excellent beer in a similar mould: well balanced, bitter and malty. I know it's unfashionable, but I like a beer that lingers on the palate in a way that doesn't have me reaching for the mouthwash and a good long gargle to get rid of the grapefruit flavours.

On a positive note, it's good to see Oxfordshire beers making it this far north - I had their Finest in Leeds the other day as well as tonight's sighting of Marshmellow in the Dev Cat.
    Sorry to see a brewery go: I,too enjoyed the Oakwell Barnsley Bitter at the Red Lion, Litton, particularily as it acted as a foil to a heavyweight from Abbeydale. A good amber session bitter, as I recall.The same comments moreor less applied to the BB from Acorn, albeit on the sweeter side. Does anyone have first hand experience of the original BB? My early CAMRA memories are full of the demise of that firm.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Thought people might like to know the latest regarding Oakwell. The following is an extract from a recent Wakefield CAMRA ebulletin, including a section forwarded from the Barnsley branch.

'Oakwell Brewery which disappeared so suddenly seems to have achieved re-incarnation as Stancill's Brewery, at a new site, still in Barnsley so that a Barnsley Bitter can be legitimately brewed. Here's what Nigel Croft has posted on the Barnsley CAMRA Website 25th August:

Yesterday (Saturday 24th August) I was invited down to Oakwell brewery to see the removal of the brewery plant slowly and very carefully being unbolted, lifted and transported about 100m (300ft) to its new site Stancill Brewery, Beevor Street, Barnsley S71 1HN.
    The owners Tom Gill and Adam Hague told me that they hoped the brewery will be up and running by the middle of October with a range of beers including Barnsley Bitter 3.8% abv. This will be identical to the one brewed on the Oakwell plant when it closed earlier this year. The beers will be brewed on the same brewery plant with the same brewer "Jonny Stancill" using the same water and ingredients.
    In addition to Barnsley Bitter Jonny Stancill will be brewing a Dark Mild, Blonde Ale, Best Bitter and a Ruby Ale all available to the free trade and with a distribution of about 30 miles from the start of production.
    “Keeping the original Barnsley Bitter brewing here in Barnsley is a must” said Tom, “keeping the excellence of Jonny brewing the beer is also a must added Adam”, Jonny acknowledged the enthusiasm of both Tom and Adam and their passion for the brewery and real ale.
    '
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.