Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique pub visits

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default Unique pub visits

Greetings All,

When revisiting a pub you have already reviewed, when do you think it is to write a completely new review, rather than updating an older one? The renaming of a pub, changing ownership, rebuild/refurb - or do you always just update the old one?

Does it even matter!
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I add a new post, but try & say just an update, to show things are unchanged, or not
    I drink to make others more interesting

If nobody else has commented on the pub since my last review I will update it, with reference to the previous times I have visited. If someone else has commented since my previous review I add a new review so that some sort of timeline is maintained.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

I will only update a review if there is a big change to the pub like having real ale put back on the bar or taken off the bar.

I went in three pubs yesterday that have been reviewed by a good amount of regulars on this site but i wont bother doing a updated review because these pubs were pretty much the same as the previous times i have been in them.
    The pubs i went in were the Stratford Haven,the Canal House and Fellows Morton & Clayton.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

If nothing much has changed ,I leave my original review unaltered.If however there is a material change such as a refurb,wider choice of drinks,food now available or even a change in vibe,say from a boozer to food dominated then I will maintain the original review noting the date when it was written and then add an update below,which thereby shows the date of the update.I suppose I could just junk my original review and then write a new review,but often there is detail in the original which is still relevant to the update such as pub layout ,so I leave both reviews to show what has and hasn't changed since my original visit.

However if people feel that this is too much information ,or is against best practice,then I am quite willing to listen to suggestions.

Interesting topic , to see how others cope with changes that occur to pubs they visit.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I’ll usually only add a review to a pub again if something has drastically changed.
    Some of my older reviews are very brief so if I revisit a pub with a dated two line review I will delete it and say something along the lines of “this pub is much the same as my last visit in august 2009…..”. I can then add a little more information… Sky Sports, plasma screen, dartboard etc!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I do much the same as Strongers. If a pub has had a major refurbishment, or there's a significant change since my previous visit, then I will post a new review. I used to edit/add to my previous review, with a statement something like "the following from Apr 2010", but now I tend to post a new review as I think it makes the timeline of comments a bit clearer. However, I accept that there is also merit in editing postings as it then displays all the information at a current date, at the top of the pile as it were. I don't think that there is a right or wrong way of doing it.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I would tend to write a new review if needed especially as sometimes reviewers comment on other reviews, "as X says below etc" which of course then makes no sense at all if the review is relocated.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I tend to new reviews rather than update old ones. Even if nothing much has changed, if there hasn't been a review for say 2 years, I usually add a few lines just so that people know the pub is still open and as previously described.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Greetings All,

When revisiting a pub you have already reviewed, when do you think it is to write a completely new review, rather than updating an older one? The renaming of a pub, changing ownership, rebuild/refurb - or do you always just update the old one?

Does it even matter!
    After some consideration I think a new review is the way to go, a previous review possibly has no bearing on the present situation( although it may do). You can choose to delete the old if you wish but I think they are worth keeping for historic/nostalgic reasons even if they have no bearing on the present day.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 27-05-2013 at 17:05.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields