Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 26th May 2013)

This Space For Hire

Like Aqualung i could have plumped for Orchid Mild. i had 3 pints of it last night but the
    Marks and Spencer bottled Citra ipa brewed at Oakham was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Citra for Breakfast, 10.1%, hehehe!!!

I presume you had those in King William, Aqualung? As a matter of interest, what do they charge for these strong keykegs?
    Cheers, tm
    The Keykeg offerings are all at £3.30 and range from 3.7% fruit sours to the double figure ones. I have a suspicion that The Citra For Breakfast may not have actually existed, but was wrongly labelled Big Mofo! I'm not sure where that "for breakfast" name comes from as to me the idea of knocking that stuff back for breakfast is fairly alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

As Mild Month draws to a close, it's quite nice to be able to nominate a drop of the dark stuff as BOTW. However, with Ossett keen to point out the beer features Challenger hops, it's a warning that there's debatably too much hop character for the MILD police. Still a decent session beer though.
    I hope people don't think I go around looking for people drinking "improper" milds and snatch their glass away whilst whipping out my truncheon!

Fernandes - Perle.
    Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.
    Fernandes - Sunshine IPA.
    Ossett - Challenger MILD.
    Acorn - Yorkshire Pride.
    Leeds - Vienna MILD(?)

As Mild Month draws to a close, it's quite nice to be able to nominate a drop of the dark stuff as BOTW. However, with Ossett keen to point out the beer features Challenger hops, it's a warning that there's debatably too much hop character for the MILD police. Still a decent session beer though.
    Leeds Vienna is not a mild either, despite what it says on the pump clip. This dark bitter is very bitter indeed.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Leeds Vienna is not a mild either, despite what it says on the pump clip. This dark bitter is very bitter indeed.
    You really don't like this beer, do you SH. I remember the polarised discussion on the 28/4 BOTW thread (which I added to yesterday). As I said on my post there, I didn't get a lot from it, possibly because it was a bit tired. Certainly, on the basis of what I drank, I wouldn't call it 'very bitter'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I hope people don't think I go around looking for people drinking "improper" milds and snatch their glass away whilst whipping out my truncheon!
    Ooooh, matron! Wasn't having a dig at you personally AL, there was somebody having a moan on Untappd, that caught my eye.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Tried this week:
    Oakham Bishops Farewell
    Pedigree
    Holdens Golden Glow
    Wye Valley HPA
    TT Landlord
    Joules Pale Ale

All of these were good and all well kept but BOTW was TT Landlord, beautifully kept at the Horse and Jockey in Lichfield.

You really don't like this beer, do you SH. I remember the polarised discussion on the 28/4 BOTW thread (which I added to yesterday). As I said on my post there, I didn't get a lot from it, possibly because it was a bit tired. Certainly, on the basis of what I drank, I wouldn't call it 'very bitter'.
    Thanks for pointing that thread out - I missed it at the time.

A "Marmite" beer indeed. I think my reaction was more to do with having expected a MILD only to be assaulted by lots of New World hoppiness. If it had been described
    accurately, I either wouldn't have ordered it or would at least have known what to expect.
    Come On You Hatters!

A cycle trip to Suffolk last week included a couple of pub stops - thirsty work, that cycling .

Sam Smiths Dark MILD (keg) 2.8% here
    Blue Cow Best Bitter 4.2%
    Milestone Lions Pride 3.8%
    Oldershaw Grantham Dark (MILD) 3.6%
    Timothy Taylor Golden Best (MILD) 3.5% here
    Woodfordes Wherry 3.8% here
    Earl Soham/Cliff Quay Bitter 3.4% here
    Nethergate Ruby Ale (Bottled) 4.2%
    Nethergate Old Growler (porter) (bottled) 5.5%
    Nethergate Growler Bitter 3.9% here
    Marstons Pedigree 4.5%
    Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons 4.2% here after catching a train to the Peak District - thirsty work, that train riding.
    Oakwell Dark MILD 3.4% here
    Thornbridge Black Harry (MILD) 3.9% here
    Thwaites Nutty Black (MILD) (bottled) 3.8%
    Bakewell Swift Nick 3.8% here
    Salamander Tree Hugger (porter) 4.8%
    Sawbridgeworth Selhurst Park Flyer 3.8%

As usual, although I enjoyed the Wherry in Norfolk, and the Old Growler bottled porter was very good indeed, the Beer of the Week for me was at the Blake after returning to Sheffield, a toss up between the Tree Hugger and the Selhurst Park Flyer. I'll go for the Sawbridgeworth Selhurst Park Flyer in celebration of W*tf*rd losing to Crystal Palace at Wembley.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'll go for the Sawbridgeworth Selhurst Park Flyer in celebration of W*tf*rd losing to Crystal Palace at Wembley.
    Glad the result brought as much happiness to you as it did in SE25.BTW the brewer at Sawbridgeworth used to play for Palace,a grand total of 15 games between 1959 and 1961 all in Division 4.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson