Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 28th April 2013)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...however Leeds Vienna is definitely BOTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    but the best wasleeds -vienna mild, not a fav style and not a fav brewery but this was superb
    And from the BABOTW thread:

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I like MILD, so when I was having a pre-crawl pint in the Wetherspoons on Leeds station the other day I plumped for the Leeds Vienna....I've had some bad experiences with Black IPAs in the last year or so - this wasn't as bad as them, but still pretty nasty.
    Sounds a bit of a 'Marmite' beer!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Sounds a bit of a 'Marmite' beer!

it's dark an smooth but it's not to my mind a mild, it's too highly hopped with new world hops so I think the brewery description is a bit off. Lovely beer to my taste though so I'd better try some more to make sure .

http://www.leedsbrewery.co.uk/beers/

This Space For Hire

I have had black ipa,s a white stout(durham) and this week i saw but did not drink Flying dog 7.5 hopless ipa.So hoppy milds bring them on.

Timothy Taylor - Landlord
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

A few sampled this week at The Merchants semi-annual beer festival including:

Oakham Bishops Farewell 4.6%
    Tryst Carronade IPA 4.2%
    Victory Thick as Thieves 6.8%
    Rooster Fort Smith 5%
    Blue Monkey Guerilla Stout 4.9%
    Acorn St George's Best 4.6%

All were very good but I think Roosters Fort Smith just nudges it as BOTW. A typical Roosters beer, pale and hoppy but with that bit extra punch.

it's dark an smooth but it's not to my mind a mild, it's too highly hopped with new world hops so I think the brewery description is a bit off. Lovely beer to my taste though so I'd better try some more to make sure .
    It means nothing to me putting my oar in with this debate. I agree that it's not a mild but a dark bitter. To me it's like a lower ABV version of my two local brews, Redemption Urban Dusk and ELB Nightwatchman.

Unfortunately missed it at the 'spoons fest, but as it's a proper Leeds seasonal might just catch it at the Midnight Bell, or Brewery Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Roosters Fort Smith just nudges it as BOTW. A typical Roosters beer, pale and hoppy but with that bit extra punch.
    The first beer I had in the York Tap, on Tuesday afternoon. Lovely stuff.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I really wish I hadn't thought that this was a great beer.

It's from Arkwrights (claiming to be The Very Silly Brewing Company) and is named after a Monty Python sketch featuring Michael Palin as Tarquin...................

Light, hoppy, very moreish and 3.9%. It passed the 3 pint test easily in The Baum on a Tuesday night.

BOTW Arkwrights Tarquin Fin tim lin bin whin bim lim bus stop F'Tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I really wish I hadn't thought that this was a great beer.

It's from Arkwrights (claiming to be The Very Silly Brewing Company) and is named after a Monty Python sketch featuring Michael Palin as Tarquin...................

Light, hoppy, very moreish and 3.9%. It passed the 3 pint test easily in The Baum on a Tuesday night.

BOTW Arkwrights Tarquin Fin tim lin bin whin bim lim bus stop F'Tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel.
    Well at least Tarquin managed to get elected in Luton unlike Kevin Philips Bong who polled zero votes on the night but strangely scored a cracker today .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It means nothing to me putting my oar in with this debate. I agree that it's not a mild but a dark bitter. To me it's like a lower ABV version of my two local brews, Redemption Urban Dusk and ELB Nightwatchman.
    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Unfortunately missed it at the 'spoons fest, but as it's a proper Leeds seasonal might just catch it at the Midnight Bell, or Brewery Tap.
    Finally managed to try Vienna in The Midnight Bell, on Saturday. After two pints, I still couldn't make up my mind about it. Just didn't get a lot from it, to be honest. Maybe it was a little tired?