Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wetherspoons Real Ale Festival April 2013 - Tasting notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I think most of you know I am not Wetherspoon's greatest fan but some of the beers in the festival look quite tempting, I might just try a few locally this weekend. I particularly fancy trying the Ionian Porter and Bateman's Mocha, if available of course, we shall see.
    Well I tried at the Prince Arthur, both the above beers I was keen to try were not available so I went for the Lymestone Pounamu and it was right up my street, quality and taste,bitter ,hoppy and fruity at £2.29 a pint.I was going to try the Elland Spring Gold next but the poor service got the better of me, not the girl behind the bars fault ,she was on her own trying to serve a constant stream of punters on a brisk early Saturday lunchtime,clearly needs better management,so after 5 minutes of waiting at the bar ,I got my coat as they say. Beer was good though.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 13-04-2013 at 12:26.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Had the Marstons Pacific Gem today, not bad at all. Nelson Sauvignon hops in there somewhere I think but not exclusively.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Very late to this 'spoons festival,my first trip on the penultimate day .In the George ,Croydon.

Mauldon's Blackberry Porter ...... Overpoweringly blackberry,rather like ribena which also completely masked the 4.8% .
    Vasileostrovsky Siberian Red.....Mine was more sludgy brown but tasted fine and drinkable for a 6%.Brewed at Banks's.
    Titanic Molly Brown Ale....Very brown and initially malty then that fine American hopped bitter finish,a Titanic trademark.BOTW

My drinking colleague also had Wharfbank Spring Hop which he reported as lacking much hop bite,rather dull.

Note to self,must make a bigger effort during the Autumn 'spoons fest.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The George at Wanstead had nine on yesterday of which I tried four :-

Conwy Riptide - An excellent low ABV Black IPA.
    Acorn Barnsley IPA - A superb light hoppy 5% beer
    Hydes Burnt Sienna - Orange in colour and very tasty, the best Hydes beer I have tried.
    Celt Experience Continental Drift - slightly hazy but clearer than the one I tried in the Walnut Tree. The three above were better.

I also tried the Wickwar Station Porter in the Drum. All that I can recall is that it was er, dark.