Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1p off a pint?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default 1p off a pint?

Does any one really think pubs will drop the price of a pint by 1p from next Sunday?

My guess is the penny will go into the pub / brewer's pockets, with a bit of waffle about "inflation, increased costs etc" and the pint price will remain unchanged

Any one who sees a drop please fell free to post & publicise it here
    I drink to make others more interesting

There won't be an across-the-board 1p drop by any means, though I wouldn't put it past Tim Martin to take a penny of the real ale in Spoons for a month.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    There won't be an across-the-board 1p drop by any means, though I wouldn't put it past Tim Martin to take a penny of the real ale in Spoons for a month.
    There should be a drop of a lot more than that. When duty goes up 1p a pint each member of the supply chain increases its prices 'to maintain their margins' and a bit extra in case. Assume you're working at 66% gross profit (selling price = three times cost, not unusual). Leaving VAT to one side for a moment £1 a pint from the brewer = £3 over the counter. £1.01 becomes £3.03, or £3.05 in round numbers. But the brewery may well have added a bit more than a penny in the first place and if you are buying through a non-bonded wholesaler they'll add their corkage too.

This Space For Hire

My local put their prices up 15p a pint a week ago due to the increase price they were getting charged from supplier, obviously with mark up to maintain margin included. Interested to see what they will do with price as obviously the increase has had some help from the budget to lower prices....

As I understand it the excise duty is paid by the brewer rather than the pub so it is up to the breweries whether the prices come down. If they do, will the pubs reduce the price? I doubt it given that most of them deal in units of 10p.

Will the supermarkets drop the prices? After the budget last year Banks's Mild in ASDA increased by 19p for a pack of 4x500ml cans.

In a link from another thread here I laughed when I saw some clown from Enterprise Inns saying they will pass the cut on. It's not up to the pub company, if the breweries don't lower their prices (and it is a very small cut anyway) he won't be able to lower their prices without cutting their profits. Does anyone know if there is an Enterprise Inn anyhwere that actually sells something worth drinking (that would exclude all the mainstream stuff) at a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Does any one really think pubs will drop the price of a pint by 1p from next Sunday?

My guess is the penny will go into the pub / brewer's pockets, with a bit of waffle about "inflation, increased costs etc" and the pint price will remain unchanged

Any one who sees a drop please fell free to post & publicise it here
    Not seen a drop yet, I think it will be buy 305 pints get one free.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Maybe a penny off a pint isn’t much to get excited about but the beer duty escalator has now been binned which is certainly worth celebrating.

Better a penny off than 2p + inflation on!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Maybe a penny off a pint isn’t much to get excited about but the beer duty escalator has now been binned which is certainly worth celebrating.

Better a penny off than 2p + inflation on!!!
    Precisely!! The 1p reduction in duty is just a political gimmick no doubt thought of by some Spin Doctor somewhere as I don't think either of the Chuckle Brothers have the intelligence to have thought of it.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I asked in my local this lunchtime if they were going to knock a penny off from Sunday, guess what? They [Fuller's] are increasing the price of a pint

bastards, utter utter bastards

Followed no doubt by whinging from brewers about people buying booze in supermarkets

I suspect the price rise was planned well ahead and they were hoping to hide it under "tax increase, nothing to do with us Guv"
    Last edited by Farway; 22-03-2013 at 13:57.
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I asked in my local this lunchtime if they were going to knock a penny off from Sunday, guess what? They [Fuller's] are increasing the price of a pint

bastards, utter utter bastards

Followed no doubt by whinging from brewers about people buying booze in supermarkets

I suspect the price rise was planned well ahead and they were hoping to hide it under "tax increase, nothing to do with us Guv"
    Why am I not surprised by this? I no longer regard South East regional brewer's pubs as worth even thinking about visiting.

Back in the seventies I discovered Real Ale via Young's houses which also happened to be the best value London pubs. Young's and other brewers since then have been raising their prices year in year out, irrespective of inflation, cost of ingredients, trading conditions etc etc etc. Up until a week or two ago, Fuller's were capable of selling their beers to ASDA at a price that allowed the supermarket to offer them at four bottles for a fiver. How can this be the fault of the supermarket?

To me the Southern regionals are no better than the appalling pubcos.

Holts in Manchester used to be the benchmark of cheap honest ales. Nowadays their bottles adorn the shelves of Morrisons. I wonder what their tied house prices are today.