Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For whom the bell tolls

Question For whom the bell tolls

" 'weirdy beardies' visiting the pub "
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-regulars.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"No Wierdy Beardies" in The Blue Bell ?

Looks like York is out for the next PuG Meet up then.

Although I think we would all agree with the Landlord that asking to try 7 beers and then ordering a half is outrageous behavior. He's obviously never met Roger, who tends to do it the other way round......
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I love York, plenty of interesting pubs around, and I have never had a problem getting into the Blue Bell. It is small, part of it's charm, and it does serve good beer. No problems when we were there last month.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

aah the benefits of being an unsociable git and drinking on my own . I visit York quite often for the racing and plenty pubs have special measures in place especially for the big saturday meetings. The issue for camra( not a member) may be the blanket ban your face doesn't fit your not getting in rather than a first come first served system to limit numbers. Interesting none the lest in light of ROBCamra recent posting and review of The Baum pubs being to busy Who da thunk it. I must admit i like my quiet corner in a pub to perfect my man with no name drinking style.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clint460.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	867
    Last edited by hondo; 27-03-2013 at 12:58.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    aah the benefits of being an unsociable git and drinking on my own . I visit York quite often for the racing and plenty pubs have special measures in place especially for the big saturday meetings. The issue for camra( not a member) may be the blanket ban your face doesn't fit your not getting in rather than a first come first served system to limit numbers. Interesting none the lest in light of ROBCamra recent posting and review of The Baum
    It's still first come, first served though in The Baum.

Although an airport style scanner round the door, detecting IQ rather than metal would be an idea to keep the total morons out.

I've also been in The Blue Ball when the sign's up with no problems as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It's still first come, first served though in The Baum.

Although an airport style scanner round the door, detecting IQ rather than metal would be an idea to keep the total morons out.

I've also been in The Blue Ball when the sign's up with no problems as well.
    Sounds like a routine Daily Wail non-story. A few Camra branch members humpy because landlord won't be told how to run his pub, landlord doesn't give a toss either way.

There's an Irish chain with 5 or 6 pubs in NW London that uses the 'private party' sign at the weekends. I've never had a problem getting into any when the sign is up. I always thought that it was used to deter groups on the lash.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I love York, plenty of interesting pubs around, and I have never had a problem getting into the Blue Bell. It is small, part of it's charm, and it does serve good beer. No problems when we were there last month.
    But I see you don't have a beard!

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    " 'weirdy beardies' visiting the pub "
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-regulars.html
    I have more facial hair than up top and would feel a warm glow if someone called me a "weirdie beardie". It's far less insulting than most things people call me.

The last time I went to York which was over 15 years ago I remember visiting the Blue Bell and thought that the beer selection was a little bit run of the mill. The Maltings was my favourite.

I NEVER drink halfs and only ask for a taste if it's a weird or sour brew and only in a pub that I'm known.

I always thought that the "private party" policy at the Blue Bell was to deter the hordes of Geordie stagg and hen parties, and that ordinary drinkers were always welcome. A pub that stocks Bradfield "Farmers" ales and beer from Maxim is never run of the mill...About the only "town pub" I'd happily drink in.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.