Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Summer meet 2013 (Anybody for... Leeds?) (or maybe Reading)

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Visitors to Reading might want to consider a PlusBus add-on at £3 (as long as its valid for the correct operators and areas). According to the website, there's even a £2 deal in June & July.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Visitors to Reading might want to consider a PlusBus add-on at £3 (as long as its valid for the correct operators and areas). According to the website, there's even a £2 deal in June & July.
    Interesting, we need a plan of action pub wise first, over to you Quinno.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Interesting, we need a plan of action pub wise first, over to you Quinno.
    Umm I posted one earlier!??

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ll=1#post54649

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Good to see your on the ball, even if I'm not
    -W.C.Fields

Based on where the Reading beer scene currently is, I've sketched out a rough itinerary (seeing as there hasn't been an overwhelming response to the minibus suggestion )

'Officially' meet at:

1. The Alehouse

Then bus (all-day ticket around £4 but can use Groupsave depending on numbers) to

2. Fox and Hounds

with a wildcard of the GBG regular JDW:
    The Baron Cadogan (JD Wetherspoon)

Then bus and short walk to

3. The Nags Head

Then bus to

Wildcard
    Abbot Cook

4. The Retreat

Wildcard
    The Eldon Arms

5. The Lyndhurst

Then walk to

6. Hop Leaf

Then walk to

7. Zerodegrees or Sweeney and Todd (beer in one, beer and pies in t’other if hungry)

Walk to

8. The Three Guineas (for train departures; the adventurous/late departures) can check out The Oakford Social Club in addition

I will of course be available to meet the early birds who wish to Spoon-it-up with beer and breakfast at 10:30am!
    Six unvisited by me in the above mentioned although the talk of spoons does fill me with some trepidation
    -W.C.Fields

Six unvisited by me in the above mentioned although the talk of spoons does fill me with some trepidation
    Ha ha, yes well it's been GBG pretty much every year since 2008 I think so it's one of life's better examples. It is a wildcard, that can be played depending on time and strength of feeling on the day.

I've just been putting together the latest beer scores for the branch and the Jolly Anglers seems to be doing OK so I'll check that out a few extra times and see if that's worth a punt...

Ha ha, yes well it's been GBG pretty much every year since 2008 I think so it's one of life's better examples. It is a wildcard, that can be played depending on time and strength of feeling on the day.

I've just been putting together the latest beer scores for the branch and the Jolly Anglers seems to be doing OK so I'll check that out a few extra times and see if that's worth a punt...
    Whats happening with the Allied Arms, my previous experiences are that its a nice pub but the beer range is a bit dull, is this still the case?
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Well done Quinno ,the list looks interesting and glad to see a real mix of different kinds of drinking establishments.I am arriving at 11.09 so will join the early brigade,is the 'spoons near the station or are there other options early doors ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

good list Quinno, especially as I don't know Caversham.

Which 'spoons were you thinking of, is it the one between the station and the Alehouse Monks Retreat ? I'll be in Reading early Saturday morning so I might drop in there rather than the one at the other end of Friar St with its "faint whiff of despair".

Whats happening with the Allied Arms, my previous experiences are that its a nice pub but the beer range is a bit dull, is this still the case?
    It's a nice pub alright but the scores coming in for it (and personal experience over the last 18 months) are consistently below par; the beer is often tired and this might well be because of the sky-high prices (£3.80+ for London Pride and Loddon!). I'll add it in as a wildcard as given the location I imagine some people might run screaming for the hills in Zerodegrees! The beer range varies; Pride and Loddon are permanent and there's up to three guests from the Enterprise lists...be warned that these may be hitting close to the £4 mark come trip-time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Well done Quinno ,the list looks interesting and glad to see a real mix of different kinds of drinking establishments.I am arriving at 11.09 so will join the early brigade,is the 'spoons near the station or are there other options early doors ?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Which 'spoons were you thinking of, is it the one between the station and the Alehouse Monks Retreat ? I'll be in Reading early Saturday morning so I might drop in there rather than the one at the other end of Friar St with its "faint whiff of despair".
    The Monks Retreat (JD Wetherspoon) is the closest to the station. Beer scores so far for 2013 are fairly good and it's a lot better than the Hope Tap (JD Wetherspoon) at the other end of the street. The best RG1 JDW is the Back Of Beyond (JD Wetherspoon) but that's a bit of hike from the station. It's GBG though and if it wasn't for their stupid beer festival stillage they'd do much better. I figure the Baron Cadogan in Caversham is a better bet for a token Spoons, I might set off a revolt if I included two on the official itinerary.
    Last edited by Quinno; 10-05-2013 at 09:18.