Ads not shown when logged in
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: PuG Summer meet 2013 (Anybody for... Leeds?) (or maybe Reading)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    At least the trains shouldn't be suffering from snow this time - although at what point do the tracks start getting too hot I wonder....
    Been a shambles today, lineside fire burned all the signal wires at Swindon...............

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    Been a shambles today, lineside fire burned all the signal wires at Swindon...............
    Oh goodness, I see what you mean. I take it there are still likely to be delays through Swindon tomorrow?

Oh goodness, I see what you mean. I take it there are still likely to be delays through Swindon tomorrow?
    Swindon to Gloucester still broke but main line working ok now. However the day is still young.....

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Going to be pushing 30C today , weather warning out for a possible heatwave , offical goverment advice is to drink lots of cool drinks , i am sure we will all manage this
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Swindon to Gloucester still broke but main line working ok now. However the day is still young.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    PLEASE NOTE REVISED MEET POINT!!!

Current route below (subject to change and timings are approximate!):

'Officially' (I will of course be available to meet the early birds who wish to Spoon-it-up with beer and breakfast at 10:30am!) meet at:

1. The Three Guineas - I will arrive midday, all to depart earlier than 1pm if possible
    *Number 23 bus to Caversham
    2. Fox and Hounds – arrive 1.15pm
    Catch 22/24 back to town
    3. The Nags Head– arrive 2.30pm. Pies available here for the hungry, take just under 10 mins to come out so order early. Largest ale selection so longest drinking time!
    *Then catch 17 to East Reading
    4a/b. The Retreat/The Lyndhurst – we’ll arrive here 3.45pm. As the two pubs are less than a minute apart and both quite small, in order to avoid bar cloggage and maximise drinking time, I suggest the group splits 50/50 and swaps between the two
    *13 minute walk to
    5. Hop Leaf – arrive 4.40pm
    *8 minute downhill walk to
    6. Zerodegrees – arrive 5.15pm. Depending on time, we may decide to split the group so the early departures get a fair crack at the Alehouse.
    *Short walk to
    7. The Alehouse (nee Hobgoblin) - arrive 6.00

That completes the circuit, based on SheffieldHatter being the earliest departure at 18.40

Given that there’s quite a large overlap in departure times, I think it’d be better to end at the Alehouse rather than start there, as Reading BR is only a few minutes walk. It also gives others a chance to try other pubs in RG1 from a central base if they wish.

For those going late, there’s the possibility of getting a pint and pie at Sweeney and Todd (just over the way from Zerodegrees) or heading back to the Nags (as Strongers will be doing his one-man tour of the Wild West (Reading)). From the Nags it’s around 10 mins to the station so long as you don’t get lost!

I’ve dropped some previous wildcards as my research has shown that there is not the quality to justify the time if we are to make it round sensibly (my crawling pace may be somewhat swifter than others!). The Jolly Anglers and Abbot Cook are too off-piste and not (IMO) good enough to divert out for. The Eldon will likely be closed as Trainman pointed out, which is a shame.
    See you all in the Nags !!! Overslept this morning so didn't bring me drinking clobber.......

Just heard some advice from a doctor on TV this morning on how to deal with the high temperatures expected today, "stay in the shade where possible and drink plenty".
    Well that's sorted then.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 13-07-2013 at 06:49.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Filling up at the Monks....

Did anyone make a note of the Fox & Hounds beers - I didn't note what I had in there - it had "Tim" in the name if that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Did anyone make a note of the Fox & Hounds beers - I didn't note what I had in there - it had "Tim" in the name if that helps!
    That would have been Tiger Tim, the Mighty Oak July special