Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Old reviews

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,482

    Default Old reviews

    I have just put my review on the Craven Arms, Birmingham and scrolled down to read the previous ones, and was shocked to read a bad review dated March 2013 that had nothing to do with the pub as it is now, but would give a totally wrong impression to anyone reading it. The reviewer did have an up to date review dated the same day, so it would appear that the old one had been written some time earlier but just posted now, or transferred from a previous site.

    I find this worrying, and know that some on here don't post the reviews straight away, but if it is not current, could the reviewer not put the date as part of the review so that a reader knows when it was done.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

  2. #2
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I find this worrying, and know that some on here don't post the reviews straight away, but if it is not current, could the reviewer not put the date as part of the review so that a reader knows when it was done.
    Agreed!

    And everyone remember that the mass migrate tool can be used to handily back-date reviews (which is why you're seeing some of mine appear on the activity page despite the posting date stamp being 2011 or whatever). The MM tool can be re-run as often as required so there's no danger of 'running out'. Just ask Dave in a PM. It's very easy to use.

  3. #3
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    It looks like the date on the old review has been changed as the reviewer has edited it to remove the old rating. Only the most recent rating counts so changing old ratings doesn’t affect the pubs total.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    It hasn't been removed. It is still there but has dropped down so you have to click to look at all reviews to see it now.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

  5. #5
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    I think the reviewer has gone back to amend his review of 29 May 2010, perhaps to remove the old rating, as Strongers suggests, but of course this gives it the new date of 28 March 2013. He has then posted his new review of the same date. Unfortunately, once you click on "edit", there's no way of going back to the old review with its correct date. Unless Admin can intervene?

    This is a drawback of the Pubs Galore system, where a user can amend their own review at any time. It has its advantages too, but a warning message, such as Editing this review will change the date of the review to today's date - do you still want to edit: Yes/No might be useful here.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    I have been back to a pub and made an amendment, usually when I find no-one else has left a review since my last one, and knowing that the current date is recorded, I usually start my amendment...

    " the above was on a visit 00.00.00 and I visited again.....

    That way you get a time stamp on the old and new review.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

  7. #7
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I have been back to a pub and made an amendment, usually when I find no-one else has left a review since my last one, and knowing that the current date is recorded, I usually start my amendment...

    " the above was on a visit 00.00.00 and I visited again.....

    That way you get a time stamp on the old and new review.
    Yes, a lot of reviewers do that - it was discussed in another thread a few months back - and I do it myself. (Though I still think that if other reviewers have posted reviews since your old review, it's better to leave yours there in chronological sequence.) But not everyone realises that the date will change when you amend an old review, which is why I think a do you really want to do that-type warning might be useful.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 06-04-2013 at 19:30.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #8
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think the reviewer has gone back to amend his review of 29 May 2010, perhaps to remove the old rating, as Strongers suggests, but of course this gives it the new date of 28 March 2013. He has then posted his new review of the same date. Unfortunately, once you click on "edit", there's no way of going back to the old review with its correct date. Unless Admin can intervene?

    This is a drawback of the Pubs Galore system, where a user can amend their own review at any time. It has its advantages too, but a warning message, such as Editing this review will change the date of the review to today's date - do you still want to edit: Yes/No might be useful here.
    I have unwittingly been a victim of this where I have updated a previous review and the date has moved the old review to the current date ' this was not my intention.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •