Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess who I met today?

I used to play darts in the Angel long before Sam Smiths took it over. I was in there most lunchtimes and after work. As it was so near all the theatres it would attract all sorts of famous faces.
    One lunchtime I got there a bit early (just before midday) and Lord George Brown (the famous Labour politician and drunkard) was in the other bar and as I was throwing a few darts and waiting for some opposition to arrive he was knocking back doubles and as any politician would talking a complete load of crap which was becoming more and more slurred.

Jenny Agutter was in there once when I arrived, sadly she didn't have all her kit off like in that boring film based in Australia.

The late Pete Postlethwaite would regularly appear on a Friday night for a game of darts and several pints of Directors. He wasn't that famous then but we knew he was an actor as he was mates with Eamon Boland who was a regular and a reserve for our dart team.

The four McGann brothers from Liverpool were appearing with the group Darts in a musical at the Astoria and they were regulars in there. Mark, the one associated with John Lennon stuff was keen to play darts but was pretty useless.

Su Pollard from Hi-De-Hi was in one night and had the bar staff and the remaining stragglers in stitches. I just hope it was all an act and not her real persona as otherwise you would have to classify her as a fruitcake based on that encounter.

The late Malcolm McClaren was in there one night and seemed to be something of a "gob on a stick".

One lunchtime after I had returned to work Tommy Cooper came in for a game of darts. I always regretted missing that!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I used to play darts in the Angel long before Sam Smiths took it over. I was in there most lunchtimes and after work. As it was so near all the theatres it would attract all sorts of famous faces.
    One lunchtime I got there a bit early (just before midday) and Lord George Brown (the famous Labour politician and drunkard) was in the other bar and as I was throwing a few darts and waiting for some opposition to arrive he was knocking back doubles and as any politician would talking a complete load of crap which was becoming more and more slurred.

Jenny Agutter was in there once when I arrived, sadly she didn't have all her kit off like in that boring film based in Australia.

The late Pete Postlethwaite would regularly appear on a Friday night for a game of darts and several pints of Directors. He wasn't that famous then but we knew he was an actor as he was mates with Eamon Boland who was a regular and a reserve for our dart team.

The four McGann brothers from Liverpool were appearing with the group Darts in a musical at the Astoria and they were regulars in there. Mark, the one associated with John Lennon stuff was keen to play darts but was pretty useless.

Su Pollard from Hi-De-Hi was in one night and had the bar staff and the remaining stragglers in stitches. I just hope it was all an act and not her real persona as otherwise you would have to classify her as a fruitcake based on that encounter.

The late Malcolm McClaren was in there one night and seemed to be something of a "gob on a stick".

One lunchtime after I had returned to work Tommy Cooper came in for a game of darts. I always regretted missing that!
    Tommy Cooper live near me and used to drink around Strand on the Green/Kew Bridge.He was a notorious tight-arse in pubs but a funny man in person.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tommy Cooper live near me and used to drink around Strand on the Green/Kew Bridge.He was a notorious tight-arse in pubs but a funny man in person.
    I've been accused of that myself and I'm not aware of being very funny!

This Space For Hire

Spoke to Huey Morgan (lead singer and guitarist) from Fun Loving Criminals outside The Lady Ottoline Bloomsbury on Monday.Real friendly guy and yes I recognised him rather than he recognised me.Awesome.

This Space For Hire

Heres a funny one.I got in the lift at an old folks home and in got an attractive young women.I said I seem to recognise you.Did you used to work behind the bar at the Express pub Kew Bridge.She said no I am an actress and burst out laughing.It was Amanda Redmonde a quite famous actress at the time.Oops.

Spoke to Huey Morgan (lead singer and guitarist) from Fun Loving Criminals outside The Lady Ottoline Bloomsbury on Monday.Real friendly guy and yes I recognised him rather than he recognised me.Awesome.
    I'm not an FLC fan but have seen him on the Wright Stuff a few times and he always came over well even though I couldn't always agree with what he said. He's certainly not a typical Yank.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Oooh! Quite jealous there, LC. I've got several FLC albums and was lucky enough to see them live a few years ago. However, the Victoria Theatre, Halifax doesn't have the same ring as Glasto. Wish I'd been there to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrf4DK-Sv1E

P.S. Huey is a very underrated guitarist.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Heres a funny one.I got in the lift at an old folks home and in got an attractive young women.I said I seem to recognise you.Did you used to work behind the bar at the Express pub Kew Bridge.She said no I am an actress and burst out laughing.It was Amanda Redmonde a quite famous actress at the time.Oops.
    Do you mean the fragrant Amanda Redman?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I've seen her a few times with the other members of New Tricks in the pubs along the river by Hammersmith Bridge.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Do you mean the fragrant Amanda Redman?
    Yep,thats her.