I used to play darts in the Angel long before Sam Smiths took it over. I was in there most lunchtimes and after work. As it was so near all the theatres it would attract all sorts of famous faces.
One lunchtime I got there a bit early (just before midday) and Lord George Brown (the famous Labour politician and drunkard) was in the other bar and as I was throwing a few darts and waiting for some opposition to arrive he was knocking back doubles and as any politician would talking a complete load of crap which was becoming more and more slurred.

Jenny Agutter was in there once when I arrived, sadly she didn't have all her kit off like in that boring film based in Australia.

The late Pete Postlethwaite would regularly appear on a Friday night for a game of darts and several pints of Directors. He wasn't that famous then but we knew he was an actor as he was mates with Eamon Boland who was a regular and a reserve for our dart team.

The four McGann brothers from Liverpool were appearing with the group Darts in a musical at the Astoria and they were regulars in there. Mark, the one associated with John Lennon stuff was keen to play darts but was pretty useless.

Su Pollard from Hi-De-Hi was in one night and had the bar staff and the remaining stragglers in stitches. I just hope it was all an act and not her real persona as otherwise you would have to classify her as a fruitcake based on that encounter.

The late Malcolm McClaren was in there one night and seemed to be something of a "gob on a stick".

One lunchtime after I had returned to work Tommy Cooper came in for a game of darts. I always regretted missing that!