Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cities with compass points

I don't see it as you being "wrong" and ROBCamra being "vindicated". People have expressed their views and most have said they don't see the point of the compass points. If you think they're valuable, there's nothing to stop you re-adding them! People who don't find them useful can just ignore them. And after all there's no harm done in having a pub in two or more areas.

I understand how it can feel like a personal attack, when you try to do something to improve the site but get knocked back all the time, but I really don't think this is anything personal.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    People have expressed their views and most have said they don't see the point of the compass points. If you think they're valuable, there's nothing to stop you re-adding them! People who don't find them useful can just ignore them. And after all there's no harm done in having a pub in two or more areas.
    It is no longer as simple as that. I tried to help Al and reintroduce his area points but they were again removed 5 hours later. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/core/pubaudit.php?id=25964 It does sound a bit personal now. Are we getting as petty as on BITE!
    We all love pubs and PuG so lets keep it that way.
    Last edited by AlanH; 30-03-2013 at 04:01.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    It is no longer as simple as that. I tried to help Al and reintroduce his area points but they were again removed 5 hours later. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/core/pubaudit.php?id=25964 It does sound a bit personal now. Are we getting as petty as on BITE!
    We all love pubs and PuG so lets keep it that way.
    Maybe Admin need to step in and make a firm ruling of some sort, what that would be I'm not sure but the tit for tat changes need to stop.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    That said, Conrad also said that they were reluctant to add compass points (town – east, west etc) because everywhere has a name(s) so it would be better if someone with local knowledge was to add the information. When it was argued that someone may find it easier to find clusters of pubs if they were labelled by compass points it was replied that this was the purpose of the map facility.

The GBG uses N,E,S,W and Central for both Nottingham and Sheffield (although there doesn't seem to be a South Nottingham!). Does this mean that the entirety of these places is just Nottingham and Sheffield with no local names? I've been to Nottingham a few times but can't say I know it well. I've never been to Sheffield.

Liverpool on the other hand is divided into the City Centre and then Liverpool: Suburb Name while Manchester just has the City Centre. Norwich, which strikes me as quite a big place has no subdivisions at all!

If the oldest pub guide of the lot can't get a consistent approach then does it really matter whether this guide does?

I've noticed area assignments, notably in North Wales that I don't agree with and are even inconsistent (in my OPINION), but I see little point in changing it just to suit me.

Visiting a new town or area requires some preparation, I have no end of A-Z books, town plans and O/S maps covered in colour coded dots.

Is a N, E, S, W and Central system useful? I have no opinion either way really as I live in London where Postcodes are the order of the day.

Maybe that would be the way to go (or maybe not!).

I'm lost on this thread as well...
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.