Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cities with compass points

I'll stay on me own

Default Cities with compass points

As most regular members of this site know i add pubs in cities that i have done a lot of pubs to a compass point,either north,south east or west

i have done this to Nottingham,Manchester,Derby,Hull and Norwich,i am also starting to do this to Stoke on Trent.

I do this to identify all pubs within that citys boundarys

I would like to ask members there opinion if this bothers them when i do this to a city.

I am asking this because Rob Camra has decided to start deleting pubs i have added to a compass point in Manchester,he has already deleted lots of pubs from East Manchester,i personally did'nt see any harm in doing this and also think it made said cities lists look better.

What are your thoughts on this.

Cheers Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    As most regular members of this site know i add pubs in cities that i have done a lot of pubs to a compass point,either north,south east or west

i have done this to Nottingham,Manchester,Derby,Hull and Norwich,i am also starting to do this to Stoke on Trent.

I do this to identify all pubs within that citys boundarys

I would like to ask members there opinion if this bothers them when i do this to a city.

I am asking this because Rob Camra has decided to start deleting pubs i have added to a compass point in Manchester,he has already deleted lots of pubs from East Manchester,i personally did'nt see any harm in doing this and also think it made said cities lists look better.

What are your thoughts on this.

Cheers Alan
    I haven't "deleted" any pubs. I've just moved a few from the ficticious area of East Manchester as they all have perfectly good areas already such as Gorton, Openshaw etc. that I have added them to.

I was planning a crawl around the area and removed them along the way as I assumed that whoever had put them there didn't know the area as well as I did.

I didn't even notice who had done them, so it's nothing personal Alan.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I haven't "deleted" any pubs. I've just moved a few from the ficticious area of East Manchester as they all have perfectly good areas already such as Gorton, Openshaw etc. that I have added them to.

I was planning a crawl around the area and removed them along the way as I assumed that whoever had put them there didn't know the area as well as I did.

I didn't even notice who had done them, so it's nothing personal Alan.
    You might not think its personal,but i do think its personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    You might not think its personal,but i do think its personal.
    Hmm! What was that comment on another thread started by Lady Grey about drowning a favourite kitten?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I can understand your thinking, Alan. However, I would only find this useful as a stop-gap, until someone who knows the city better than you do comes along and assigns the pubs to local areas.

For example, the pubs in Chesterfield (not a city, I know, but the principle is the same) were put into north, south and west, but I moved most of the west pubs into the Brampton area, because that's what this part of the town is called. I left two still in Chesterfield West because they are a bit further out and I don't know that part of town.

I really don't think you should be taking this personally. ROBCamra is just trying to improve the site in his own way, just as you are. If there is a clash of ideas, you can sort it out via private messages, as I have with both of you in the past.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Hmm! What was that comment on another thread started by Lady Grey about drowning a favourite kitten?
    I'd just like to make clear that I wasn't in favour of drowning the kitten. But seriously I'm sure there is nothing personal here Al, its just members trying to make the site as efficient as possible.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I am with Rob C on this, I think it should be down to local knowledge of area. If there is a perfectly good, historical name for an area why make up some geographic one?

I have found people moving Portsmouth and Hampshire pubs to some area that does not exist and are miles away, like xx Town centre when it is at least 2 miles away in the suburbs

I have stopped correcting them because for me life is too short to bother about it
    I drink to make others more interesting

When pub locations was the hot topic a while back I seem to remember Conrad mentioning that it didn’t matter how many locations a pub had against it. This was because different people consider boundaries to be in different places, the Black Country is a fine example.

That said, Conrad also said that they were reluctant to add compass points (town – east, west etc) because everywhere has a name(s) so it would be better if someone with local knowledge was to add the information. When it was argued that someone may find it easier to find clusters of pubs if they were labelled by compass points it was replied that this was the purpose of the map facility.

If I had found that someone had labelled the pubs in my area as West Eastbourne I would have taken them out of that area and put them in Old Town which is correct. If I was to ask one of the inbred folk that live around here directions to West Eastbourne they would send me to Beachy Head!

When the location facility became active I located any pub in East Sussex that was unassigned. Since then I’ve corrected some of my previous location submissions after actually visiting the place and realising that I/Google had got it wrong.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Although I like to see pubs in their real town or suburb names, I see nothing wrong with compass points as an ADDITIONAL feature. It could be of use to a stranger in the town who does not know any of the local names which can be hard to find on some maps. A large group of pubs listed in say "East Manchester" could give a greater view of the area as well as listed in "Gorton", "Clayton", "Openshaw" etc. I often add areas as additional information to the served area but only delete them when they are totally incorrect and misleading.
    Although I may not need "East Manchester", the areas of "South Nottingham" or "West Derby" could be very useful to me.

I'll stay on me own

Thank you for your replies to this thread.

It turned out just as i thought it would,with me in the wrong as usuall and Rob being vindicated for what he has done,i did send Rob a PM asking him not to delete the compass points i had set but i did'nt get anywhere with this.

I only did this to seperate pubs within the city from those outside it,i did'nt see any harm in doing this,what was wrong with Gorton/ East Manchester or Sneinton /Nottingham East.

I do know all of the cities very well including there proper area names,if you look on the North Manchester list,i have added lots of pubs to this list but i always put them in their correct area like Collyhurst or Harpurhey ect and then North Manchester.

Once a few pubs have these compass points deleted it makes the whole list useless,i was only trying to improve the site and did'nt see any harm in doing this but as usuall i was yet again wrong.

I have been in and had a drink in 527 pubs in the city of Manchester so i think i know the city fairly well

I have been in and had a drink in 405 pubs in the city of Nottingham and 231 in the city of Derby,i have also been in most pubs in these two cities many times.

I was only trying to improve the site in my opinion.