Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hop Or Drop?

This Space For Hire

Its up to the brewer to put the right amount in to create a balanced beer.I like citra hopped beer but have tasted a few clunkers that tasted and smelled like toilet cleaner.Darkstar-Brodies and Oakham seem to know how to use it.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

An interesting thread,but apart from including the hop variety in the beer name,it is disappointing that so many brewers fail to mention the hops they use for either aroma or bittering on their websites.This information also seems absent from the GBG tasting notes,which tend to concentrate on wine tasting prose,rather than highlighting hop varieties used.Is this inside information ?

I am keen to be educated on what I am quaffing.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    An interesting thread,but apart from including the hop variety in the beer name,it is disappointing that so many brewers fail to mention the hops they use for either aroma or bittering on their websites.This information also seems absent from the GBG tasting notes,which tend to concentrate on wine tasting prose,rather than highlighting hop varieties used.Is this inside information ?

I am keen to be educated on what I am quaffing.
    Wetherspoon's current tasting notes DO include the hops used in their guest beers, so I doubt that it is inside information. I guess most brewers think that the average punter isn't that interested.

This Space For Hire

The Egham fest named all the hops used in the beers so i was expecting loads of hoppy beers but most brewers use so little you can hardly taste them,Single hop beers always name the hop .Even something bland like Greene King ipa will have 3 or 4 diffrent hops although it might be hard to believe.

I prefer English hopped beers without really knowing it. When I think of my favourite beers and breweries they are Ludlow, Holden's, Batham's, Banks' and Hobsons, their beers are all British hopped in the main.

Oakham - a brewery whose beers are rated by many - are one brewery whose beers I now avoid. Admittedly their beers usually taste fantastic at first sip but I find that by the time I've nearly finished I am tired of the overwhelming hop bite. It's all about balance for me. 'Hop explosion' beers......no ta.

Default Houblon Chouffe

The Belgian approach...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Houblon-Chouffe.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	830