Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Star news

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Default Dark Star news

I know that this item from the Dark Star Blog will be of interest to some: Time for change… The post begins "Well, it’s been one hell of a ride but I’ve decided it’s time to move on from Dark Star." And, yes, these are Mark's words.

I just hope that recent recruits to the brewing team will be as sensibly creative. Which is to say that, to me, just about everything that comes out of the brewery is good quality, interesting, in some cases educational, but never too off the all to have me thinking 'what the hell are you thinking of with this one?' Be interesting to see how things develop in the coming months and years.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    I know that this item from the Dark Star Blog will be of interest to some: Time for change… The post begins "Well, it’s been one hell of a ride but I’ve decided it’s time to move on from Dark Star." And, yes, these are Mark's words.

I just hope that recent recruits to the brewing team will be as sensibly creative. Which is to say that, to me, just about everything that comes out of the brewery is good quality, interesting, in some cases educational, but never too off the all to have me thinking 'what the hell are you thinking of with this one?' Be interesting to see how things develop in the coming months and years.
    Not good news to hear , but life goes on, hopefully the quality an innovation can be maintained.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Thanks for posting that Paul,it does sound like potentially bad news.I suppose a lot depends on the skill of the brewing team left behind,but Dark Star has been so innovative up to this point ;it must be a tough act to follow.Dark Star have also consistently produced top quality ale ,lets hope that standards dont slip either.IMHO they are currently right at the top of the brewers "Premiership",so maybe to get out at the top is understandable .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Its been interesting to note comment on Thornbridge from some of us recently saying its not been as good as usual - stems from Kelly Ryan (mentioned in the blog article) going back to New Zealand maybe?

This Space For Hire

Rob Jones the owner of Darkstar is also leaving to set up a micro brewery at the Duke of Wellington Shoreham.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Rob Jones the owner of Darkstar is also leaving to set up a micro brewery at the Duke of Wellington Shoreham.
    I was going to post the question "what happened to the bloke from Pitfield?".

I worry that great micro brewers seem to go downhill when they become effectively major regional brewers and the founding brewer takes a back seat. In my experience Hopback beers are not as good as they were when John Gilbert started up in the mid 80s.

I only have two recent experiences of Dark Star beers, the Winter Meltdown which didn't bowl me over and the Brodie's collaboration which I enjoyed.

The one Dark Star brew that really did make an impact on me some years ago was the Expresso Stout which I thought was incredible and unlike anything I had tried before.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

The Lockhart Tavern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chs2twnWkAEK-HZ.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChXzayLW4AA-x3l.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1350  

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    The Lockhart Tavern
    Have you added it to the site? As far as I know it was originally a Restaurant called La Strada at 41 the Broadway RH16 3AS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Have you added it to the site? As far as I know it was originally a Restaurant called La Strada at 41 the Broadway RH16 3AS.
    pending
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/29345/