Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pubs in Charente area, France

Threaded View

Default Pubs in Charente area, France

During my recent stay in France I sampled a couple of bars in the Charente area, one in the town of Angouleme, which is the international centre for bandes dessinées (comic books and graphic art). In fact, I had just missed the 40th International Festival there, though I did get to watch the workmen dismantling the framework of one of the marquees right outside the pub, Le Chat Noir. The Black Cat is handily placed in the centre of town, right next to the pedestrian exit from the car park that is buried beneath the market hall. There's the usual glass fronted terrace, with the main bar centrally placed in among some smaller internal seating areas. I didn't check out the full range of beers as they had Grimbergen, which is one of the more interesting lagers to be found in France. Drinks are around the €3 mark.

The other bar, in the picturesque village of Verteuil, also on the River Charente, was a little disappointing, even for France. The Dixieland Cafe is run by a young couple: he is English and she is French. There is a beer garden overlooking the river and with a view of the chateau, but as it was a chilly and wet day in February we didn't check it out. Posters inside advertise the popular local bands that play here, but on our quiet Sunday afternoon it was difficult to imagine the place heaving. Although there are four fonts, with two standard lagers plus Grimbergen and Guinness, unfortunately only the Carlsberg was on. It's a long time since I've had a drink of probably the worst lager in the world, and after Sunday I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	815 Le Chat Noir.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	817 Dixieland Cafe.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	823  
    Come On You Hatters!