Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radler

Question Radler

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Yep, one born every minute, never underestimate the stupidity of the populace, a bit more dilution & it could be legally sold outside school gates
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

recently Ales and Tales in Twickenham had on a Austrian-RadlerThey told me it was refreshing but were totally unaware that it was a shandy till i mentioned it.

These Global Corporate Abominations will try any ridiculous gimmick other than doing the obvious, create a decent beer at a reasonable price that people will drink.

When I used to go out cycling with a group in the late 70s / early 80s they were quite happy to be refreshed by copious amounts of Ridley's bitter in one of their delightful remote country pubs.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

The marketing idiot claims that this is a response to "consumer trends" presumably as measured by someone from er, a marketing department. The cretin carries on to say that the lower strength beer category is growing 50% year on year. That's because the Global Corporate Abominations that produce this rubbish keep watering it down!

Obviously the choice of 2.8% ABV is purely a coincidence and bears no relation to the fact that this is the ABV where lower duty rates kick in, just like the coincidence with new 2.8% ABV beers being produced by Marstons and Greene King together with Lee's bottled Mild being knocked down to er, 2.8%.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

Obviously the choice of 2.8% ABV is purely a coincidence and bears no relation to the fact that this is the ABV where lower duty rates kick in, just like the coincidence with new 2.8% ABV beers being produced by Marstons and Greene King together with Lee's bottled Mild being knocked down to er, 2.8%.
    Some of them are OK. Welton's Pridejoy is a good example: very tasty, drinks above its weight and and doesn't have that bloating effect from all the sugar in shandy and soft drinks. Ideal if you are driving.

I've a feeling the lager companies have to make them as shandies to get any taste at all into what is already an insipid product. To get any taste at all into lager it needs to be around 5% - it needs the body from the alcohol - but that brings problems in the wrong hands, hence Wifebeater's reputation. It's bloody awful when watered down to 3.8% or so like Calsberg in the UK. They haven't a hope in hell of making a drinkable 2.8% lager.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Some of them are OK. Welton's Pridejoy is a good example: very tasty, drinks above its weight and and doesn't have that bloating effect from all the sugar in shandy and soft drinks. Ideal if you are driving.
    I've had a few Welton's beers and to me they seem to be a very good brewery.
    I bet the Marstons and Greene King 2.8% ones aren't OK. I think the Lees bottled mild has been ruined. I know Brodie's has done one and was recently threatening a 2.8% mild, but as I don't drive I have no incentive to try it, even more so given that the King William prices are the same for all the Brodie's casks or keykeg, irrespective of strength. Why pay £2.45 for a pint of 2.8% mild when you can have a 12% stout for the same price (sometimes!)?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Memories of younger days Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15334L.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	824
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !