Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pub Ghosts

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The Kings Head in Guildford http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35840/ has an interesting framed newspaper article on display about when the front of the pub collapsed without warning in the 1990's. The article goes on to describe how the long-standing pub ghost was banished that night never to return. More likely I would offer is that the nightly creaking and groaning often heard was the pub actually trying to fall down before it finally did!

A friend of mine ran a black and white pub,built as a guesthouse for the neaby minster. I often stayed overnight and found the building noisy.Supposedly there were a couple of ghosts but I never saw or experienced anything that convinced me of their existance. As a security guard I found most buildings had their noises especialy factories, the cavernous buildings amplified the sounds. The creepiest place was the old Cheltenham& GloucesterBuiding Soc. HQ. The place was so well sound insulated you could not hear your own footsteps. Creepy a bit like loosing your shadow.

Anyone heading for the beer mecca that is Derby should check out the orb photos inside the Falstaff - the pub is apparently a magnet for paranormal activity although some of the photos on display do look more like camera shake!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

If your in Shrewsbury go to the Nags Head and ask to see the painting on the inside of the warderode door
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    If your in Shrewsbury go to the Nags Head and ask to see the painting on the inside of the warderode door
    I was in there in Nlovember (it's on my list of pending write ups) but wasn't aware of anything untoward inside the pub. The most notable feature was the medieval structure in the beer garden that is used as a shelter. That is a bit wierd! I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the building has quite a few strange and eerie stories attached to it.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I was in there in Nlovember (it's on my list of pending write ups) but wasn't aware of anything untoward inside the pub. The most notable feature was the medieval structure in the beer garden that is used as a shelter. That is a bit wierd! I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the building has quite a few strange and eerie stories attached to it.
    In the 3rd storie room that juts out into the street , theres a painting of a biblical prophet on the inside of a warderobe door , said to be as old as the pub itself , its said if you look at it you will go mad , 3 people have commited suicide in the room , A mate of mine asked if he could see it and it freaked him out , made him feel really uncomfortable .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Back to Mr B's original post, has anybody else noticed that the dog isn't even looking at the 'ghost'. And no, before anybody asks, I'm not a sceptic, I'm a total bluidy unbeliever..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

HORSE & JOCKEY, WOOD GREEN ROAD, WEDNESBURY.

I worked there for some time in the 1990’s. the ground floor and cellar are ‘Sid’s’ domain, moves things, makes you jump and goes to the loo a lot.
    The other was the sound of two girls crying. This was in the upstairs restaurant (is it still there?)
    From what I remember, the manager of the Monway works in Wednesbury was on his way home for breakfast and popped into the pub for a drink, he ordered a rum and a glass of milk, took them upstairs and then shot himself in the head.

When I was there I found the report in the local paper and we got a copy framed and put up in the room. He had a big Masonic funeral.
    The crying is supposed to be his two small daughters, many of the staff heard it and a couple were very upset, it was always in the same place, the corner by the ovens.
    I can honestly say that I have first-hand-knowledge of both of these ‘happenings’.

I was very sad to see that the George in Newington, Kent (ME9 7xx) closed down a couple of years ago and has been converted into housing (and is therefore not listed on this site). It was reputed to be the most haunted pub in Kent. Just after the final time was called, the pub caught fire and was destroyed, and local talk was that one of the supernatural residents was responsible and that the final closure was to blame.

Personally, and at risk of offending the politically correct lobby, I put it down to one of the local (and very much corporeal) undesirables who would be better off well away from society.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Just after the final time was called, the pub caught fire and was destroyed, and local talk was that one of the supernatural residents was responsible and that the final closure was to blame.
    Don't look at me.. I never been to this pub!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/