Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Micropub opinions

Teetotal

Default Micropub opinions

I'm looking to open the first micropub in Wales and was wondering if anyone could help me by giving your opinion on whether micropubs are a good thing and why? There's a free pint in it if you're ever Cardiff way!

I've only heard of these places and have never actually been in one. Assuming that you are completely free of tie and also assuming it's Cardiff then perhaps you should avoid stocking all or most beers by Brains.

I would have thought that an unusual or interesting beer selection would be essential. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    I'm looking to open the first micropub in Wales and was wondering if anyone could help me by giving your opinion on whether micropubs are a good thing and why? There's a free pint in it if you're ever Cardiff way!
    I remember hearing Martyn Hillier give a very interesting talk about his micropub (the Butchers Arms, Herne) at the 2009 Camra AGM in Eastbourne, and he is certainly a very convincing evangelist for the concept. Numbers have increased substantially since then, although nearly half of the 15 members of the Micropub Association are located in East Kent so I guess that once one gets started then word of mouth and local press encourages others nearby to give it a go.

However, the prompt demise of places such as Monty's Real Ale House in Bradford (which would surely have qualified as a micropub, even though not a member of the association) sadly shows what can happen if things don't take off for one reason or another.

Anyway, to answer your question, the sheer diversity of the British pub is extraordinary and micropubs certainly have their place in that (especially in places where larger pubs with much bigger overheads just can't carry on making things work in the current economic circumstances).

Good luck!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Love the RAT Ale House on Hartlepool station. Was a newspaper quiosk once I believe. Serves real ales and ciders and can seat about 20 people. Good luck.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Hi Rev.Good luck with your micropub project.There has already been a thread which you may fine useful as it touches on what people are looking for in a micropub and some things that are unpopular.
    http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...5874-Micro-Pub

The best example of a micropub that I have visited is The Treacle Tap in Macclesfield.If you can get up there ,it maybe worth spending some time in there to see how the team have created a very vibrant atmosphere in a former small shop unit.By offering a changing array of up to three real ales from excellent microbrewers (some quite local) along with interesting bottled beers and even some craft keg they have attracted a wide audience .They have won local CAMRA branch awards which must have helped footfall.It's in the 2013 GBG.

Keep us informed on how you get on,it would be good to see who gets to your place first to post a pubsgalore review.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Teetotal

Thanks folks for your help. I will definitely try and get to The Treacle Tap, it looks like a great example with a few uniquenesses of its own. Currently I'm putting together a business plan so that mr bank manager will help fund the start up (fortunately, mr bank manager is a Real Ale drinker and loves the concept, so has already told me he will support it), so finger's crossed! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.