Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Perfect Pint

  1. #1
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    5,080

    Default Perfect Pint

    Has anyone tried using http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/ ?

    The idea is that when a new beer is put on the bar the pub updates Perfect Pint and you can then see what is on the bar at any pub you're going to.

    The Baum keeps theirs up to date, however most pubs are very selective.

    e.g. Most JDWs say they have Ruddles and GK Abbot on, well I could have told you that!!

    Even The Welly in Brum only admits to about 8 on currently, which is unlikely.

    It would be fantastic if it was up to date, but at the moment it just doesn't work as they have to rely on other people to input the data.

    If pubs really made an effort it would be great to be able to search for a beer you want to try and see if anyone in your area is stocking it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  2. #2
    Real Ale Drinker Brewguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Martock, Somerset
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I had a look round on this the other day - as you say it is up to the pub to keep it up to date, mostly it seemed to list the permanent beers (as in the JDWs) with any info on guest ales missing. I find the pubs that post their own information on their websites, FB or twitter tend to be more accurate.

    A useful site for those few pubs who will keep it up to date but I mostly found pubs that stocked Tribute, Doom Bar or Butcombe round these parts (to be fair that is true for 90% of cask ale in the South West).

  3. #3
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Yes, I've had it on my iphone for 8 months now but have almost given up using it...

    Like a lot of this type of App it is built around a solid idea but falls down because it relies on regular data updates and these just don't happen.

    "The Baum keeps theirs up to date, however most pubs are very selective."
    Actually no, most pubs don't bother. When the app was originated the designers included the permanent beers or house ales for their initial pub inputs but any rotating guests have to be updated by the pub.
    Hence the reason why all JDW outlets only show the GK stuff and for all the local pubs close to me the shown beers have not changed in all the time the app has been taking up memory space on my phone..

    So in conclusion, unless you are very lucky and your local contributes to the data update of the app (like those of you who utilize the Baum,) this app is next to useless.

    The only reason I keep it is in case I am in a strange area and have not done the research on PuG first, then it is useful to check if a nearby pub at least stocks real ale and what the permanent offerings are.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  4. #4
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    I would rather it be a surprise when going into a new pub,that way you never know what you are going to see on the bar.

    I have been in some nice looking pubs and once inside there are no real ales on,that is a surprise,on the other hand i have been in some pubs with daft names and was expecting fizzy beers to be on the bar, then to my surprise i see some really nice real ales on the bar.

    This is what i enjoy about pub crawling,never knowing what i will get in the next pub.

  5. #5
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I would rather it be a surprise when going into a new pub,that way you never know what you are going to see on the bar.

    I have been in some nice looking pubs and once inside there are no real ales on,that is a surprise,on the other hand i have been in some pubs with daft names and was expecting fizzy beers to be on the bar, then to my surprise i see some really nice real ales on the bar.

    This is what i enjoy about pub crawling,never knowing what i will get in the next pub.
    I know we all have different outlooks when visiting new pubs, but I personally don't want to waste time visiting pubs that offer no real ale.My mission is discovering for want of a better phrase hidden gem's (for some unknown reason this phrase annoys me) , to me a good pub includes good beer to my taste as well as as being a nice place to be.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  6. #6
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    ...for want of a better phrase hidden gem's (for some unknown reason this phrase annoys me) ,.
    Referral to the apostrophe police will indicate what annoys about that phrase Mobyduck , but I concur with the sentiment - too little time to spend visiting unworthies; there are only so many pints I can drink in my life, so I may as well try not to waste any...

  7. #7
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I know we all have different outlooks when visiting new pubs, but I personally don't want to waste time visiting pubs that offer no real ale.My mission is discovering for want of a better phrase hidden gem's (for some unknown reason this phrase annoys me) , to me a good pub includes good beer to my taste as well as as being a nice place to be.
    How will you find an hidden jem if you only go in pubs that you have already looked into to see if any real ales are available,by means of reviews or pub guides or on the internet.

    I do sometimes find hidden jems because when i visit an area i try and do all pubs in that area,so i dont miss any pubs in that area.

    I do understand what you are both saying about wanting to only do good pubs with decent beer on the bar,but to find unknown pubs you have to do some leg work and take the good with the bad.

    I am a real ale drinker and have done so since 1980,but i also like going in different pubs and if no real ale is on so be it.

  8. #8
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    How will you find an hidden jem if you only go in pubs that you have already looked into to see if any real ales are available,by means of reviews or pub guides or on the internet.

    I do sometimes find hidden jems because when i visit an area i try and do all pubs in that area,so i dont miss any pubs in that area.

    I do understand what you are both saying about wanting to only do good pubs with decent beer on the bar,but to find unknown pubs you have to do some leg work and take the good with the bad.

    I am a real ale drinker and have done so since 1980,but i also like going in different pubs and if no real ale is on so be it.
    All fair comments and you certainly have done some leg work over the years. There is nothing I enjoy more than finding a new pub I didn't know about that turns out to be a winner, I do indeed seek them out , but if I walk into a pub and its evident its not a good place to be I'm not going to hang around suffering a half of Fosters or Doom Bar when the next pub down the road may be the real deal, but that's me, I think you do a good job visiting pubs good or bad Al, and I'm sure you enjoy it, but when a day trip to London, for example, costs me approximately £60.00 all in , travel ,beer ,and food , I tend to be a bit choosy.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 03-02-2013 at 08:13.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #9
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    All fair comments and you certainly have done some leg work over the years. There is nothing I enjoy more than finding a new pub I didn't know about that turns out to be a winner, I do indeed seek them out , but if I walk into a pub and its evident its not a good place to be I'm not going to hang around suffering a half of Fosters or Doom Bar when the next pub down the road may be the real deal, but that's me, I think you do a good job visiting pubs good or bad Al, and I'm sure you enjoy it, but when a day trip to London, for example, costs me approximately £60.00 all in , travel ,beer ,and food , I tend to be a bit choosy.
    When visiting a new town, I always like to try at least one place that isn't on a list of recommendations but which just catches the eye when walking past. On a recent brief stop in Berwick-upon-Tweed, the Free Trade caught my attention - albeit just to double-check that it had actually served its final pint a few years ago and could be safely marked as closed. As you can see, this wasn't actually the case and I'm glad that I plucked up the courage to venture in.

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Finally got round to checking out the site. Wakefield only had 22 listings, three of which were clubs! Although some had their permanent beers listed, (outdated at that) many did not. Not very impressed.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Similar Threads

  1. Called to the Bar - Perfect Pub
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 09:11
  2. What is the secret of the perfect pub?
    By NickDavies in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 08:37
  3. The perfect accompaniment to a pint
    By Andy Ven in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 29-01-2011, 13:09
  4. Cooking Lager - A perfect day
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-07-2010, 11:05
  5. Curry and a pint - but pint of what?
    By NickDavies in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-06-2010, 19:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •